Living green is becoming a larger part of modern lifestyle in recent years. However, lawn care is often overlooked. What mower type is used makes all the difference, since your mower is the key tool in lawn care. Replacing a gas powered mower with a push reel mower is the single most affective way to make lawn care environmentally positive.
Benefits of Using a Push Reel Mower
Using a push reel mower has many benefits, some of which are obvious. Using no fuels whatsoever is often the first thing people think of. This type of mower produces no fumes and chances for gasoline spills and oil leaks are nonexistent. Those two reasons alone make push reel mowers green. Some other benefits include:
• Quieter operation. Loud noise is a form of pollution. Gas lawn mowers are notoriously loud, and a green conscious individual will take this into consideration. Plus, with a push reel mower, no need to wear earplugs!
• Healthier grass. For green lifestyle people wanting a perfect lawn, this is a must. Push reel mowers use a scissor-like method that actually cuts grass. Powered lawn mowers use a high rpm and breaks grass. This causes grass to turn brown where it’s been severed. Slicing grass the way a reel mower does results in a healthier looking lawn.
• Automatic mulching. Push reel mowers simply throw grass clippings out the back, scattering it while cutting. There won’t be rows of dead grass across a freshly cut lawn or piles needing to be bagged. Also, there are no bag attachments to get frustrated with. Additionally, push reel mowers cut grass in smaller pieces, aiding decomposition and returning nutrients to a lawn faster. Definitely a green bonus not seen in any other type of mower.
• Manicured appearance. You’ll never guess what type of mower golf courses use. That’s right, reel mowers. Although theirs aren’t push mowers and usually gas powered, it’s the same cutting technology found in a push reel mower. It’s a superior method for a smoother, evenly mowed lawn.
• Exercise. This one’s a no-brainer, but deserves mentioning. Manually pushing a mower burns calories, provides cardio-vascular benefits, and improves overall muscle tone.
• No harder to push than a standard gas mower. It’s often believed reel mowers are very hard to push. Although true in the past, modern versions are not hard to push at all. The reel is geared with each wheel, needing only enough effort for the gears to rotate the reel enough to do its job.
• Inexpensive. Not using gasoline or electricity means no operational cost. All that’s needed is a relatively small investment to buy a push reel mower ($70.00 to $300.00 new) and that’s it.
Limitations of a Push Reel Mower
Regardless of the many benefits granted from using a push reel mower, environmental or otherwise, it’s only fair to discuss the limitations as well. Once everything is considered, the green benefits of using a push reel mower still greatly outweigh any drawbacks.
• Can’t handle twigs and branches. Due to the low rpm and slicing movement of push reel mower blades, not enough force is generated to cut through branches and twigs. If there are trees in the vicinity, there will be a need to clear the lawn before each mowing. Otherwise you’ll end up stopping repeatedly to clear the mower. Thankfully, it’s very easy to do. Just rotate the reel backwards by hand and the twig drops out.
• Does poorly when grass is allowed to overgrow. Even adjustable models have difficulty mowing a lawn with grass three or more inches tall. Be sure to mow whenever grass reaches roughly two inches in height. This means in spring and early summer the lawn will need cutting about twice a week, sometimes more. If grass does get too tall, expect lawn mowing time to triple. Remaining motivated for green lawn care can get hard at that point.
• Wheels prevent cutting close to objects. Cutting width in power mowers is generally wider than the wheel base, reducing edge work. On a push reel mower, blades are mounted between the wheels, preventing close crop mowing next to buildings, trees, or landscaping.
Green Lawn Care is Nearly Impossible without a Push Reel Mower
Short of using a machete, green lawn care is pretty much out of the picture without a push reel mower. I use one, and find it enjoyable. My lawn is immaculate compared to before. And, my lawn care impact on the environment has moved solidly in the green. Yours can, too.