Among the long list of Pantene Pro-V’s new hair care products, you’ll find a specially designed line just for color-treated hair. These products claim to rebuild and replenish not just the look, but the health of color-treated hair, even if it is significantly damaged. Pantene offers more than just a claim. Their website also details the science behind this new line and provides proof that it will work on even your toughest, color-treated tresses.
What Happens to Color-Treated Hair?
Each strand of your hair has a special protection barrier around it, called the “F-layer.” This layer protects hair from damage, locks moisture into your hair and keeps your hair looking soft and shiny. When this layer becomes damaged, however, hair starts to lose its natural sheen. Split ends, frizzies and any number of problems are the result. The color-treatment process can quickly attack the F-layer, leading to more damage if you don’t properly care for your hair.
Some of the most common problems for color-treated hair, according to Pantene’s website, include:
• Dullness. Hair’s pigment breaks down, leading to uneven hair color and fading. The actual hairs
also become uneven and frayed, so your hair becomes coarser and dull.
• Breakage. With no F-layer, hair’s texture becomes more irregular and friction results. Split ends and frizz may also occur.
• Unseen Color. Hair color only shows when the light hits hair’s surface and passes through the hair fibers. When the outer layer is scarred by dyeing it, the vibrancy and hue of your color are affected. Hair color can fade, change or appear less vibrant.
Treating dyed hair properly and maintaining regular upkeep can help prevent all of the above types of damage. Pantene’s new Color Hair Solutions line gives hair the extra protection and nourishment it needs.
Caring for Color-Treated Hair
When hair is dry and broken, it needs moisture and nourishment. Different shades of hair may need different amounts of moisture, but all color-treated hair can benefit from products specifically designed for dyed hair. These tips can help you better care for your hair:
• When hair appears dull, it could be that oils and dirt are affecting your color. A shampoo for color-treated hair is your best bet for safe cleansing, with just enough moisture.
• Tap water, however, contains additives and chemicals that may break down hair that has been color-treated, leading to more problems. Pantene’s targeted Color Hair Solutions Color Preserve products are designed to help protect hair from these harmful substances.
• Protect your hair from harmful UV rays, which can break down your hair’s proteins and fade your pigment. Wearing a hat or staying in the shade can help your color last much longer.
Always follow color-treatments and shampooings with a good, rich conditioner to be sure you’re keeping moisture locked into each strand of hair. The strength of your hair comes from it’s core, so protecting color-treated hair will reap huge benefits for the look and feel of your hair.
Pantene’s Color Preserve shampoos and conditioners are available for shine, volume or smooth hair concerns. You can also try Pantene’s Color Hair Solutions lines specifically designed for blondes, brunettes or highlights.