Summer adventure movies show you all the things you could be doing if you weren’t such a couch potato. Okay, well maybe you couldn’t really be racing boats in the Caribbean or chasing pirates in the Pacific, but you get the idea. Watch these ten summer adventure movies, and at least you’ll feel like you’re doing something!
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003). This is the first action movie of a trilogy of Pirates of the Caribbean movies. (Well, now actually a fourth one is in the works.) Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley give us a look at what it’s like to be a pirate, and what it’s like to be captured by one. Keira’s character is kidnapped by a group of pirates who have been cursed from stealing gold. They feel that she is the answer to lifting the curse. Orlando’s character sets out to rescue her, engaging the help of down and out pirate Jack Sparrow (played by Johnny Depp) to help him in his mission.
2. Casino Royale (2006). This has to be my favorite of all of the James Bond movies. Daniel Craig is definitely my favorite James Bond of all time. I think it’s because I see him as different than the others. For instance, his hair is lighter, almost blond. This action packed adventure involves Bond spying on a terrorist, where he ends up in Mollaka and then the Bahamas. Passion heats up the screen when Bond meets Vesper Lynd, a woman who may or may not be on his side. This Bond movie has a great plot, and is well written, in addition to giving the viewer lots of action and drama.
2. Into the Blue (2005). Paul Walker and Jessica Alba star in this summer action thriller about divers trying to find a shipwreck full of gold at the bottom of the ocean in the Bahamas. They find the shipwreck, but realize someone knows they are there. Apparently, someone else knows about the gold, and so things start to get dangerous.
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975). This has to be the funniest action movie ever filmed. Monty Python and the Holy Grail follows the tale of King Arthur. The Knights seek out to find the grail, splitting up to be more effective. They encounter all kinds of silly adventures and mishaps along the way. This is a definite must see summer adventure movie.
4. The Bear (1988). If you don’t mind subtitles, this is an interesting action adventure movie. The movie is in French. Imagine a bear cub who loses his mother in a rockslide. A grizzly bear takes the young bear under his wing. Unfortunately, some hunters set out to kill the grizzly. So, the grizzly must protect the cub and himself, in this adventuresome tale set in the frame of reference of the bear cub’s point of view.
5. The Endless Summer (1966). Well, when the water gets cooler in the United States and you still have the surf’s up attitude, just travel somewhere else and keep surfing! That’s what these two surfers decide to do. They just travel the world searching for the perfect beach and perfect wave. Some of their stops include Hawaii, New Zealand and Australia. The summer never ends if you follow it to different continents!
6. The Motorcycle Diaries (2004). The Motorcycle Diaries is about revolutionary Che Guevara before he gained his title. He and a friend set out on a motorcycle journey across Latin America to explore what goes on around the country. They learn about extreme poverty and the situations faced by Latin Americans during their adventure filled journey.
7. Iron Man (2008). Robert Lee Downey, Jr. stars as the Ironman. He creates the armor to escape from a deadly situation he finds himself in in Afghanistan, after he demonstrated the new missile of his company Stark Industries. He has become a captive of a terrorist group and must escape. The original Ironman suit is destroyed during his escape, but he then sets out to build a much better one. Enjoy the adventure movie of Iron Man!
8. Transformers (2007). This action film stars Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox. LaBeouf is a teenager who finds himself in the middle of a war of two different robot groups. These robots are aliens, and they have the ability to transform themselves into other objects such as cars as a disguise. LaBeous sets out to help the good robots destroy the bad, so that the bad robots don’t take over and give life to all of the machines on earth. The action and adventure never stops during this movie, so don’t blink!
9. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (2010). Jake Gylenhaal, just as if you hadn’t already proven yourself as one of the sexiest men alive, here you are in even more muscular tone in this action packed summer movie. In Prince of Persia, Jake’s character is taken in by the King as a child. Later, the King’s sons and brother join Jake’s character to attack a city that is selling weapons to enemies of their country of Persia. Once they take down the city, the only way to qualm them is to have Dastan (Jake Gylenhaal) marry their princess. More adventure awaits!
10. Australia (2008). Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman show us what it’s like to be on the wrong side of injustice in the Australian outback. Kidman has gone to Australia from England to try and get her husband to set aside his pursuits of their ranch and come back to England with her. However, she finds he has been killed by a group setting out to destroy her ranch. She must enlist the help of the Drover, played by Hugh Jackman, to get some cattle to market to have the money to save the ranch. Unfortunately, there are some hard core Australians who set out to prevent her from being successful.