Recently, the Queen of England made her first visit to Wimbledon in 33 years in order to watch some of the tennis matches and to chat with tennis great Martina Navratilova. The exchange proved to be quite embarrassing for the Queen who asked the nine time winning tennis legend if she played tennis very often. I guess it would be the same as watching a basketball game with Michael Jordan and then asking him if he’d ever played basketball in college. Although the palace has been embarrassed by the Queen’s comments, some hint that her majesty may have exercising her natural gift for sarcasm. Here are the top ten sarcastic comments made by Queen Elizabeth:
1. During a visit to the White House in 2005 she asked George W Bush if he had “completed some of his education in an American college.” This provoked some laughter, but aides to the Queen confided that she did not think highly of the now ex-president and that the comment wasn’t an accident.
2. When Elton John was knighted she reportedly asked him if he had “sung anything else besides his “Yellow brick road song.” Apparently the Queen is an avid Madonna and Lady Gaga fan and does her best to insult other musicians when she can.
3. On a visit to Disneyland in Anaheim California she constantly remarked how “quaint” the park’s Sleepy Beauty castle was when compared to the several palaces that she owns.
4. When meeting with the Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin for the first time she told him that she had no idea Russia was its “own country” and that she thought that it had “disappeared” after the Soviet Union was dissolved.
5. She often refers to McDonald’s as an “American fine restaurant” either as a snub for McDonald’s or American cuisine in general. Apparently she is still upset that her great, great, great grandfather lost the colonies.
6. She often asks her aides if “that most wise and deliberative legislative body is in session” when referring to Parliament.
7. On a recent visit to Australia, technically still a British Commonwealth, she asked the president if “Australians even knew that they still served her.” Nervous laughter ensued, but Prince Harry confirmed that his grandmother still views Australia as one of her possessions.
8. On a trip to the White House she remarked to President Obama that he lived in a splendid little “summer cottage” and that she should have a duplicate built for herself in Scotland.
9. On a trip to France she asked the French prime minister if the “the Eiffel tower was getting smaller somehow” as a cryptic way to comment about the shrinking power of France.
10. When asked by Prince Charles why he didn’t get a birthday card from his Mum, the Queen replied, “I must have forgotten to mark such a momentous occasion on my calendar.”
For the top ten Mysterious Items Discovered at Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch, click here: