Here’s my personal countdown of the top ten movies to watch with Mom on Mother’s Day. I chose these particular movies because – surprise, surprise – they have unforgettable mother characters. Besides, what mom can resist a great romantic comedy? So pop up some popcorn and grab the Goobers, and sit down to watch some fun flicks with your Mom:
10. Yours, Mine and Ours – Whether you prefer the original film with Lucille Ball (1968), or the remake with Renee Russo (2005), this is a fabulous family film, with lots of laughs and just the right amount of romance.
9. Cheaper By the Dozen – A mother who has a dozen kids? All her own? Really? This movie plot may be hard to believe, but the original screenplay was based on a true-life family. I enjoyed Myna Loy’s character in the 1950 version, but the 2003 remake with Bonnie Hunt will be much easier to rent. You and mom are sure to enjoy either one.
8. My Mom’s New Boyfriend (2008) – See what happens when an overweight mom goes on a diet and gets her groove back. Meg Ryan is just a hoot as this zany “hottie” mother who drives her son a bit crazy, as he chases the man who’s chasing her. What does that mean? Watch the movie and see.
7. Forrest Gump (1994) – Okay, it’s really considered a drama, but there were so many funny moments in this film, I had to list it here. And who in the world could forget Sally Fields’ portrayal of Forrest’s mother and her fabulous Southern wisdom in this Academy Award winning film. So pull out the tissues, and hunker down for a nice cozy evening with mom.
6. Mamma Mia! (2008) – Meryl Streep can sing? Yes she can! And she does plenty of crooning and dancing around in this madcap musical romance. Just tune out some of the sour notes that come out of Pierce Brosnan and you’ll be able to enjoy this tale of a former “free love” hippie mom who never tells her daughter about the identity of her father.
5. Definitely Maybe (2008) – A dad tries to explain to his daughter the story of how he met and married her mom, even though he and her mom are currently getting divorced. There’s not one, but three potential mothers in this story – a sweet romantic comedy that every mom will love.
4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) – Lainie Kazan is wonderful as the stereotypical controlling, loud and overbearing mother, Maria Portokalos. Watch this movie with your mom, and you’ll appreciate how great she is (and she’ll realize the same about her mother).
3. Overboard (1987) – This is Goldie Hawn at her best in this screwball comedy. A rich witch of a woman falls overboard her yacht and winds up assuming the role of mother for a poor, bratty bunch of kids. It’s a match made in hog heaven!
2. True Lies (1994) – Jamie Lee Curtis is a bored, lonely housewife and mother looking for adventure… and finds it in the form of a CIA operative husband. Part action-adventure, part romantic comedy, this is one of my all time favorite films. Perfect for any mom!
1. Moonstruck (1987) – When 30-something unlucky widow Loretta Castorini (Cher) tells her mother Rose (Olympia Dukakis) that she’s engaged to be married again, Rose asks if Loretta if she loves her fiancé. When Loretta says no, Rose replies: “Good. When you love them, they drive you crazy, ’cause they know they can.” As you can imagine, Rose is one unforgettable mom in this stereotypical New York Italian family. Moonstruck is my number one pick for a Mother’s Day romantic comedy.
So get out the videotapes or DVDs and enjoy a movie marathon with your mom this year.