There is a rumor that marriage can get dull after a few years. You wake up next to the same person for years on end, with the same circumstances every morning. Well, it’s no wonder then that some people opt for divorce. Maybe it’s just to do something different. (Not that I condone this.) However, some married couples have found ways to make things interesting. Maybe they’re going to rob a bank, or figure out how to save the world together.
Read on to discover ten movies that show us that wedded bliss doesn’t have to end when the shock wears off.
1. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005). Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are married, but neither one of them knows the other is a secret assassin That’s until both of their missions are to destroy each other. You can only imagine how action packed this is going to be!
2. Fun With Dick and Jane (2005). Jim Carey and Tea Leoni are the average normal couple. But if job loss means you have to resort to crime, then I guess that’s what you have to do. Dick and Jane set out to rob a bank, so that they can pay their bills and resume their so-called normal lives. This movie is hilarious.
3. A Perfect Murder (1998). Michael Douglas gets himself into drama again. He learns that his wife, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, is having an affair. He decides to get the guy she is having an affair with to kill her! That’s a twisted plot of events. Will Viggo Mortensen, the lover, go for it? Will he be successful?
4. Funny Farm (1988). This movie stars Chevy Chase as a writer who wants to move to the country to have time to write a book. His wife comes along for the ride. However, Chevy Chase soon realizes that he has no inspiration to write, and it is his wife who ends up being the first to publish a book. The movie is a funny take on competition between husband and wife for the same role as a successful writer.
5. The Notebook (2004). If you’re looking for the most romantic movie ever written about a husband and wife, I think you’ve found it. The notebook is the notebook that the wife wrote when she began to develop Alzheimer’s disease, so she would never forget her husband and the life they spent together. It’s an amazing film, a true tearjerker.
6. Kramer vs. Kramer (1979). If you’re getting divorced, it’s probably going to get ugly. That’s what happens to Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman as they engage in a custody battle. Dad ends up winning, but is that what’s really best for the family?
7. Did You Hear About the Morgans? (2009). Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker are cast as a husband and wife who have recently separated. They witness a crime together, and are sent into the witness protection program together. They are forced to examine why they split up, and figure out whether they can make it work again.
8. Outbreak (1995). Dustin Hoffman and Rene Russo are divorced. However, they both work at the Center for Disease Control when the outbreak of a deadly virus occurs. A monkey was transported into the US carrying the virus. The virus had been contained, but now it is released. It turns out that the government was covering up the virus, and knew about it! This is evident because the government already had an antibody for it. Hoffman and Russo team up to find the monkey and get the antivirus serum, since the original strain has mutated. The government covered things up because of the potential of the virus to be used as a biological weapon. Hopefully, the divorced couple can be successful, both in finding the monkey and getting back together as husband and wife again.
9. The Accidental Husband (2008). What if you were Uma Thurman finding out that you are already married, but you never got married? Well, that’s what happens here. A man is able to falsify documents and show he is married to her. So, now she has to prove the fraud so she can marry her true love. Or is he?
10. Just Married (2003). Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy are a young married couple who just tied the knot. They embark on a honeymoon adventure, soon to find out that wedded bliss doesn’t always happen immediately. The two end up separating by the end of their honeymoon. But will true love win and get them back together again?
What are your favorite married couple husband and wife movies?