Recently, Chevrolet rolled out its long awaited electric hybrid car, the Chevy Volt, which will be able to go 100 miles on electric power alone before a gasoline back-up engine takes over. At a price of about $32,000 after government rebates, it is still much more expensive than used and new conventional cars which run on gas, meaning that price conscious consumers may not be rushing to buy this product. Nonetheless, environmentally minded drivers with cash to spare may consider picking one up. Due to its reliance on advanced electronics and electric batteries, Chevrolet has added a number of bonus features to the car in an effort to drive up sales. The top ten are listed below.
1. The car makes that annoying Windows start up sound when you turn it on in the morning, and an LED in the rear view mirrors reads “Starting Up Engine” for a couple seconds.
2. If you start to run out of battery power, the car gives you a courtesy message to “save all work, complete driving tasks and prepare to shut down.”
3. The onboard lithium ion battery cells can also be used to charge an iPhone the size of coffee table which can makes calls to the moon.
4. A provided “stealth charging cord” which is painted in army camouflage colors allows you to try to “hijack” an outlet to charge your car during the day as apparently electric car manufacturers forgot to build charging stations.
5. Ultrapatriotic drivers, who have bought the Volt to help wean American drivers from our addiction to foreign oil, get to display a special hood ornament which is a silhouette of a barrel of oil with an “X” over it.
6. A special version of the car, made especially for Al Gore but now available for all customers, has a temperature reading which supposedly displays the “average temperature of mother earth” so that you can monitor global warming on the go.
7. The incorporate ion battery technology, and invisible solar panels embedded into the windows and body work, allows you to charge a Taser on the go in about five minutes. This and roof mounted racks for tear gas canisters make the car “riot squad friendly”, an important designation offered by J.D. Powers and Associates.
8. The Volt, due to its much quieter running electric motor, is expected to be a hit with private detectives who need to sulk around in the middle of the night unnoticed. A specially made version of the car will come with an integrated night vision system in the windshield and a roof mounted acoustical receiver for eavesdropping on juicy conversations.
9. Besides being one of the first commercial electric cars, the Volt will also have the first on board miniaturized oven/toaster, perfect for making waffles, toast, burritos and pop tarts on the go.
10. For workers who don’t have time to groom on the way to work, or for those who wish to increase their efficiency, the car will come equipped with a small hair dryer, electric powered razors, and a curling iron.
For the top ten signs that President Obama is a closet socialist, click here.