If you’ve ever felt like your hair had a mind of its own, these beauty tips are going to help you gain control and tame those locks, once and for all. Did you know that genetics have a big role in the type of hair you have? Your genes can help determine how thick or thin, straight or curly and even the color that your hair grows in.
These top five beauty tricks will help Latinas everywhere get the beautiful hair they have always wanted. It all begins with learning a little about your hair and hair type and what you can expect from it naturally.
1. Keep in natural – There is nothing wrong with loving your Latina locks and you should feel proud of what Mother Nature has given you naturally. You probably have at least some natural curl in your hair and you can play this up to its full potential when you know how to care for it the right way. Use light hair products that are liquid instead of creamy and consider sleeping on a satin pillowcase instead of cotton because it will help reduce frizz and retain the natural oils from your scalp so the hair is not dried out.
2. Consider extensions – For many Latinas who want to achieve a certain look for their locks, extensions do the trick. Many Latina celebrities such as Salma Hayek, Jennifer Lopez and Patrician Velasquez use extensions to give them that look they desire. If you can’t afford extensions, another option is “clipping”. This is done by purchasing clips of hair that match your hair color and placing them underneath your real hair so that it blends in. The clips are so tiny you can put them just about anywhere that can be blended with your natural hair.
3. Control the Oils – Often Latinas will have an oily scalp. The rest of the hair can get dry but near the scalp will be oily and can quickly appear dirty, especially if you sweat throughout the day. But there is something you can do to control the oil. The shampoo and conditioner that you use are very important in taming oiling scalp. Buying a shampoo for fine or limp hair will help remove excess oils which can help oily scalp, regardless of what type of hair you have.
4. Go for straight – When you want that sleek, straight look, you can blow dry your curls to achieve the look. You should put a leave-in conditioner on your hair right after washing and then allow it to air dry for about 10 minutes or so before you use the hair dryer. Be sure to use a dyer with a diffuser attachment and then flip your head over and blow dry against the scalp until it is nearly dry. This will give you more volume to your hair. Now flip your hair back over and dry naturally until nearly dry and style as desired.
5. Choose the right hair care tools – The tools that you use on your hair make all the difference. If you have thick hair like many Latinas, a boar bristle brush is great for drying and caring for the hair. If your hair is long, you need the largest brush you can find. Your hair should only wrap around your brush once (with the exception for really long hair). Always use a hair dryer with a diffuser and other hair care tools that are made for your type of hair.
Now that you have these top five beauty tip for Latinas’ hair, you can keep your locks looking fresh and beautiful all the time.