This is a list of my choices for top 6 Stephen King Books. I am a huge Stephen King Fan and narrowing down to just a top 6 was hard to do. I feel these 6 books are excellent Stephen King books. I enjoy reading all of his books and love them all but these are the ones that stick with me. These are the ones that find a little place in my mind to hide and make me remember them long after they are read.
6) Cell 2006 – This book starts with action and keeps it all the way through to the very end. It might even make you take a pause the next time you use a cell phone.
Cell phones deliver the apocalypse to millions of humans and their brains are wiped of any humanity, leaving them with only destructive and violent impulses. Those without cell phones, must fight for survival, and their journey to find the character, Clayton’s estranged wife and young son rockets the book toward an end.
5) Carrie 1974 – Carrie is story about a 16 year old girl whose Mother is a strange and abusive religious fanatic. Her Mother teachers her nothing about maturing and when Carrie starts her period at school she thinks she is dying. She goes screaming through the locker room with blood all over her hands. The kids become cruel and find many ways to torture Carrie. Carrie has supernatural powers that she does not realize and one prank to many, one cruelty to many sets Carrie off and she gets her revenge.
4) Black House 2001 – Black House is a team effort by Stephen King and the late Peter Straub. A serial killer has begun abducting, murdering and dismembering area children. The character Jack initially does not want to be involved in the case, however when a fourth child goes missing, he starts to have a series of waking dreams and remembrances to pry out the even greater evil he glimpses behind the rather brutal murders that have been happening. Jack’s destiny has caught up with him again, only this time it is a different boy standing at the fulcrum of all possible worlds, a boy who has the potential to break the universe. The only route to that lost boy is through a portal to damnation obscured by more than just overgrown woods this is what draws Jack to the Black House. The story is terrifying and will keep you interested from the beginning until the end.
3) Duma Key 2008 – Duma Key is another story of Kings that grabs the reader and makes you want to read the book from cover to cover until you reach the end.
The Story starts with a man who had a crane at work fall on his vehicle, taking his arm, causing immense pain and changing is personality based on the pain. His marriage comes to an end and he ends up at Duma Key. As he starts to heal and time progresses he discovers he has talent deeper than just painting. While painting he goes into trances and is able to affect future events. But the story of Duma key goes much deeper than this and the reader will be terrified. This is what a true Stephen King book is all about, terror.
2) The Shining 1977 – The Shining is a true Stephen King classic. This was the first book of Kings I read as a child and it scared me to death. It still sends shivers done my spine when reading it. This book is what made me a fan Kings and I have loved reading his work ever since.
The story is about a man who is a writer and his wife and son. He takes a job at an old hotel as the caretaker during the winter while the hotel is closed. The hotel is in Colorado and the winters get very bad and no one can get in to the area or out when the weather gets bad.
The hotel has a very disturbing history and the man is a recovering alcoholic. This fast paced terrifying read is one that will be sure to keep you up at night.
1) Under The Dome 2009 – Under the Dome is Kings newest book and is now my favorite. While Duma Key and Black House came very close to topping The Shining, my favorite still remained The Shining. That is not the case any longer. Under The Dome has captured the number one spot and will be a story I never forget. I can only hope that this story becomes a movie but I hope they keep it as true to the book as possible.
Under the Dome is set in a town called Chester’s Mill. What the residents of Chester’s Mill do not realize is that their lives are about to change completely on October 21st.
An invisible dome comes down over the town sealing the residents in and keeping everyone on the outside of the dome away. The dome is indestructible and is 47,000 feet high, and goes deep below the town. No one including the government can figure out how to remove or even puncture the dome.
Pollutants cannot escape the dome either and start to gather on the barrier, making it slightly visible as it gets the appearance of dirty glass. The dome also puts out an electronic frequency that shocks people when they first get near it but those with a pacemaker it makes it explode in their chest.
The cops are crooked, people are scared, and the air is bad and getting worse. What makes this story so scary is that you can just imagine what might happen in your own town if you are trapped in and no one higher up then the police in your town can get in to help you. If these police are just people out for their own well-being you can imagine what kind of trouble and terror could arise.
This story keeps you interested and turning pages until the very end. It is a must read and is one of Stephen Kings best books to date.
I hope you enjoy my top 6 Stephen King Books. If you have not read them yet buy one or go to your local library.