Are you an RPG fan? Are you looking to learn more about role-playing games that exist and which ones you should try? There are some RPGs that really top the list when it comes to all-around great games. These are the games that set the stage for what would come from many others. They created a new bar in the niche and they have set it high. If you’re into RPGs, then you absolutely must check out this top 10 list (if you haven’t already):
1. Chrono Trigger – This is the mother of all RPGs. Chrono Trigger, from Square (now Square Enix) was developed for the Super Nintendo (Super NES) in 1995. A later version was also released for the Nintendo DS in 2008 and several international versions have been released over the years. The story of Chrono Trigger follows a group of adventurers trying to prevent a worldwide catastrophe. It is considered one of the greatest games of all time, and for good reason and was the third best-selling game of 1995. One reason Chrono Trigger was so popular is due to the innovations that it brought to RPGs that had never been seen before such as the ability to control the protagonist in the story. The gameplay was also different from that of traditional RPGs- all just one more reason to love Chrono Trigger.
2. Skies of Arcadia- This RPG was developed by Overworks for the Dreamcast and was published by Sega in 2002. You control the protagonist, Vyse, with a third-person view and a great deal of the game play of Skies of Arcadia is in the dungeons. There are also puzzles, monsters to defeat and a network of pathways with hidden treasure chests. The battle system has character combat as well as ship combat, adding to the fun.
3. Secret of Mana – Secret of Mana for the Super NES is another top RPG that you can’t go without playing at least once. Also developed and published by Square, it was also released for the Wii’s Virtual Console. Secret of Mana ditches the turn-based battle system of traditional RPGs and opts for real-time battles much like those of Legend of Zelda.
4. Xenogears- Xenogears from Square was another great RPG released for the console, this one for the Sony Playstation in 1998. Xenogears has sold 1.19 million copies worldwide as of March 31, 2003 and is voted highly by critics. The battle system is much like that of Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy. It has nine playable characters and a great storyline.
5. Harvest Moon- The Harvest Moon video game series is another great line of RPGs worth checking out. The main character of the original version of the game was male but there were later made versions where playing a female was also possible. The central aspect of all the games is growing crops.
6. Super Mario RPG- Mario is one of the most beloved video game characters of all time so it’s no surprise that Super Mario RPG makes the list of the top 10 RPGs of all time. If you’ve never played this Mario game, it’s time to go get it!
7. Dragon Quest IV- Originally released in 1990 for the Family Computer System, Dragon Quest IV is now also available for the Nintendo DS. Five compelling chapters combined into one story make for an epic RPG experience you simple must try for yourself.
8. Pokemon Crystal- While Pokemon often has a reputation as a kid’s game, this is one version that kids and adults alike can enjoy.
9. Final Fantasy series- Fans of Final Fantasy will be hard pressed to choose which one of the series is their favorite and depending on whom you ask, the answers will vary greatly. Because of this, we’re including the entire series on our list. You can take your pick or even better, play them all!
10. Never Winter Nights 1 and 2 – This is the type of game you can play for months and months on end with no need for another game because it will completely captivate you. It’s more easily accessible than many RPGs and it’s playstyle can be compared to that of Dungeons and Dragons.
There you have it, the top RPGs you must try out today if you haven’t yet. If you call yourself an RPG fan and these titles are not in your game list, it’s time to get off your chair and go get them right now!