To celebrate the release of Eminem’s highly anticipated album, I have created a list of the top 10 Eminem songs of all time. Songs from Recovery will be included in this list, as it is an incredible album. This list was extremely difficult to create because of the number of incredible songs done be one of the best rappers of all time.
10. No Love (feat. Lil Wayne) – Off his new album Recovery, this is a fantastic song featuring Lil Wayne. It uses the tune of “What is Love?” by Haddaway in the chorus, but changes up the words saying no love. Lil Wayne starts off the song and the first verse, and Eminem raps. In the song, Eminem mentions what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift at the 2009 VMA Awards. The message of this song is that if you have no love for Eminem and Weezy (songwriters), they won’t have any love for you.
9. Like Toy Soldiers – A great song off of Encore. Eminem used a choir of children to sing the beginning of the song and the verses. This song explains a feud between JA Rule and 50 Cent.
8. 25 to Life – Another great song off Recovery, the chorus and beginning part of the song is sung by Liz Rodrigues. She has a beautiful voice and Eminem complements it with incredible rap verses of his own. This song is about how he has given his life to Hip Hop. He says he is divorcing Hip Hop, and he tells Hip Hop to make someone else famous.
7. Stan (feat. Dido) – Dido sings the chorus from her song “Thank You” in this great song off The Marshall Mathers LP. There are numerous interpretations of this song. The obvious one is that a crazy fan is sending Eminem letters and he eventually killed himself. However, if you look deeper into the song, this song is about Eminem separating from his stage self, Slim Shady. It shows that becoming Slim Shady has completely segregated him from his true self.
6. Beautiful – Undoubtedly his best song off Relapse, Eminem says how hard his life is, and how he’d love to swap lives with you. He wants others to see how hard his life his, and he also says God gave you a spot to fill in this world, and accept it as he did.
5. When I’m Gone – Off his album Curtain Call – The Hits, is dedicated to his daughter Hailie. He says that he would do anything to protect her in the first verse. In the second verse, she’s begging him not to leave. In the last verse, he’s performing on stage and Hailie is in the audience.
4. Sing for the Moment – Off The Eminem Show, this song implements the lyrics of “Dream On,” by Aerosmith as its chorus. Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry plays in this song, and Eminem raps about how people are always trying to be like him, and how hard it is to be a rapper. The line “You’re full of s*** too, Guerra, that was a fist that hit you,” refers to a fight Eminem has with John Guerra, who Eminem saw kissing his wife outside a bar in Detroit in June 2000. Eminem hit Guerra with a gun, and Guerra received a $100,000 settlement.
3. Mockingbird – This song off Encore is written for his daughter, Hailie, and his niece, Alaina, whom he has custody of. He is telling them that no matter what, he will be there for them.
2. Love the Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna) – Off Recovery, Eminem raps about a man and a woman that fall in love, but their relationship changes over time. The man becomes physically abusive, and the woman tries to leave him. Rihanna sings the chorus, portraying the abused woman in the song. This song is so powerful because Rihanna has been physically abused, and Eminem has had a rough relationship with his ex-wife, Kim.
1. Lose Yourself – The soundtrack is from the movie he starred in, 8 Mile. It is the most successful rap song of all time. This song basically summarizes the background info of his character, B. Rabbit.