Many mothers and daughters love to watch movies together. If you are looking for a good drama to watch with one another on Mother’s Day, there are many great choices out there to choose from. Here are my picks for the top 10 dramatic movies for Mother’s Day, in random order.
1. Stepmom – When Jackie Harrison (Susan Sarandon) learns that she has terminal cancer, she has to come to accept that her husband’s girlfriend Isabel Kelly (Julia Roberts) will be the stepmother of her children. Keep in mind that while this can be a great drama to watch on Mother’s Day, it is definitely a tearjerker.
2. A Walk to Remember – Women of all ages can appreciate this movie, based on the Nicholas Sparks book of the same name. After Landon Carter (Shane West) gets into trouble, he finds himself seeing a new side to Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore). He quickly realizes that there is more to Jamie than what meets the eye.
3. Save the Last Dance – Sara (Julia Stiles) has given up dancing after her mother dies in a car accident on the way to her recital. When she moves to live with her dad, she finds herself rediscovering dance with the help of her new boyfriend, Derek (Sean Patrick Thomas). This is a tearjerker that many will enjoy on Mother’s Day.
4. Now and Then – This is definitely a great Mother’s Day dramatic movie choice for those who haven’t seen it yet. Four women who were best friends at 12 years old meet many years later, and reminisce about their last summer as kids. This movie has many popular actresses in it, including Christina Ricci, Rosie O’Donnell, Demi Moore, Thora Birch, and Melanie Griffith.
5. My Girl – Vada’s life is anything but normal, with a father who is an undertaker as her only living parent. In Thomas Jay, Vada finds a best friend – which is picked on for by other girls. If you choose to watch this movie on Mother’s Day, keep in mind that it is yet another tearjerker.
6. Sweet November – Nelson is a career man who happens to meet Sara. While he realizes that she is unlike anyone he has ever met before, he does not realize that she will change his life forever after he spends one month with her.
7. My Sister’s Keeper – This film adaptation of Jodi Picoult’s book of the same name is a great choice for those who are looking for a very dramatic movie to watch on Mother’s Day. Anna Fitzgerald (Abigail Breslin) was born to supply organs to her sister Kate, who has leukemia. Now, she wants to sue her parents, one of which is played by Cameron Diaz, for medical emancipation.
8. The Blind Side – What better movie to watch on Mother’s Day than one which portrays true motherhood – even when it’s not a biological mother? The movie is based on the true story of NFL player Michael Oher, who was homeless prior to being adopted by Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) and her family.
9. Step Up – Anyone who likes Save the Last Dance will also want to watch Step Up on Mother’s Day. The movie is about Tyler Gage (Channing Tatum), who gets into a lot of trouble when he vandalizes an arts school. When he has to do community service, he meets dance student Nora Clark (Jenna Dewan). He helps her with her routine when he partner gets hurt, and she helps him get his life back on track.
10. The Notebook – This dramatic movie is a film adaptation of another one of Nicholas Sparks’ books. Mothers and daughters who have never seen it will want to think about watching it together on Mother’s Day. The movie is about a young girl from a high class family named Allie (Rachel McAdams) and country boy Noah (Ryan Gosling) who fall in love over a summer they spend together. When Allie’s parents find out how serious the couple is getting, they leave town to keep the two apart.
These are just my top 10 dramatic movies to watch on Mother’s Day. Be sure to keep tissues by your side when watching these movies, as you will likely cry at some point!