As the song goes: “Think of all we’ve been through; breaking up is hard to do.” Living alone again, whether the relationship was for 30 years or just 30 days, is an emotionally tough time. However, there are ways to ease out of the heartache and loneliness and into a new life.
1. First, you must accept your situation. If there’s no chance of going back to the relationship, do your best to close your mind to it. You’re now living alone, and you can do whatever you like without worrying about what the other person thinks or does. Maybe breaking up was a smart move, after all.
2. Get yourself away from the TV. Watching soap operas will just remind you of your own weepy story. Anyhow, you won’t meet anyone new by being a sorry-for-me couch potato.
3. Go out with old friends to new places where your ex won’t show up unexpectedly. Try different cafes, bars, entertainment scenes and other places where you can forget the past and enjoy the present.
4. Make new friends by socializing in places you haven’t explored for a long time. There may be people at work you’d like to heat up with a new kind of friendship, or with some of the sexier members of your health club, church or other place where you’ll feel comfortable meeting new people.
5. You may opt to try some of the online dating sites. You could start some new friendships with people on the other side of the world or the other side of town. It’s worth a try, considering you’re living alone and feeling lonely. Who knows what might happen?
6.One of the best ways to shake the break-up blues is to volunteer to help others. Join a church or charity group that provides meals for the homeless or children of broken families. Help in the local hospital gift shop or visit the elderly in nursing homes. Could be you’ll meet another volunteer who’ll be interested in helping you overcome your problem over candlelight dinner and wine.
7. One of the best ways to shake the break-up blues is to get away from it all and go to sea. Sign up for a singles cruise to the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. They’re not expensive, and all the doings on deck are designed to get the singles to mix and match. Chances are you’ll make a new, exciting connection on a singles cruise and forget all about your former flame.
After you get over the break-up, you can live alone until your heart is all together again. Just don’t take too long. There are scores of singles opportunities out there, and you shouldn’t miss any of them.