Selling a home can come with many pitfalls. There are several things sellers should avoid completely if they want to sell their home fastest and for the most money.
1. DON’T expect to sell quickly or for top dollar without investing into freshening up your home. Some sellers think that minor repairs aren’t necessary. Minor repairs can make a lot of difference. Get the house ready for the market by doing all of those “little things” first.
2. DON’T restrict your showings. Remember, as inconvenient as it may be, buyers are the ones you need to work with to sell your home. Don’t expect to get more than an hour’s notice before a buyer’s agent shows up with clients in tow. Have the house ready at all times.
3. DON’T stay in the house during a showing. At the very least the seller needs to step outside, but it’s much better for the seller to be completely out of sight before the buyers and their agent arrive. Hanging around negates the buyer’s sense of privacy, and makes them uncomfortable.
4. DON’T leave personal items out. Take down family photos and keepsake memorabilia. The less personal your home is, the easier it is for a buyer to visualize himself or herself living in it.
5. DON’T forget about Fifi and Fido. If you have pets, they need to be kenneled or removed from the house prior to showings. Not all buyers are pet lovers, and the mere glimpse of your beloved family pet can send them out of the house, turned off to making an offer.
6. DON’T take anything for granted. Buyers are finicky. If you don’t declutter and have things neatly put away at all times, the house can look dingy and dirty, and it can cost you a sale.
7. DON’T hire the first agent you speak to. Interview at least three.
8. DON’T leave blinds shut or windows bolted. The lighter and more airy a home appears, the more appealing it becomes.
9. DON’T use websites like Zillow or Trulia to set a price for your home. These websites have information that is often a year or more out of date. Either pay for a professional appraisal or use a CMA from your agent.
10. DON’T expect to be inflexible. Change the presentation and price of your home as the market dictates based on buyer feedback.
Sellers that ignore the top 10 don’ts often find that the home sale process is stressful and full of hurdles. Make it easy on yourself as a seller and avoid the top 10 mistakes from day 1.