If you are a teenage girl and you still plan to dress up for Halloween then making your own costume is the best way to go. A few years back I went to ‘party city’ to snag a costume for a Halloween party at my ten year old neighbor’s house. I was horrified by the selection I found. I could be a slutty pirate, a slutty fairy, a slutty French maid, or a slutty witch. None of those costumes seemed right for me. I went home and got to work brainstorming ideas for a homemade costume. This is what I came up with:
1. Safari Girl- If I had a few more days before the party, this is the one I would have done. What you will need: plastic oversized sunglasses, safari hat (you can find one at the store), tribal/animal print shirt, khakis, sunscreen, hiking boots, animal stickers or flat animal beads, leaves/twigs ( from your yard or plastic), a hot glue gun, plastic machete (pick one up at a costume store). Start off sticking the animal stickers to the rims of your plastic sunglasses. If you got the animal beads then just glue them on. Next, use the hot glue gun to glue the leaves and twigs to the top of the hat. Put on the khakis and the shirt and make sure that the buttons are one off when you put it on. Now put some sunscreen on your face but don’t rub it in all the way so it remains visible. If you don’t want to carry around a plastic machete then think about another prop like binoculars.
2. Nerd- This costume was easy for me to put together and it’s so funny. It’s simple and fast so I chose this one for the party. Here is your list of supplies: A solid colored, long-sleeved button up blouse, a long skirt (non stretchy fabric), a belt, black rimmed plastic glasses, two different colored hair scrunchies, different colored nail polish, high socks, loafers (or any other bulky shoe), a retainer (if you have one of the metal ones), a red washable marker, and a spiral notebook with “Fifth Year Molecular Biology” written on it. Use the washable marker to make “zit” marks on your face. Then put in your retainer and glasses. Make sure that you tuck your shirt into the skirt and button the skirt up all the way. Put the belt on the skirt and tighten it as much as you comfortably can. Then paint every one of your nails a different color and put your hair in two uneven pigtails with your mismatched scrunchies. Pull the high socks up as high as they will go and put on your shoes. Now grab your notebook and you have transformed into a first class nerd.
3. Cow Girl- Everyone can get a hold of a red plaid button up shirt. Throw one of these on over a plain white tank top and zip up your daisy dukes. Remember to wear a ten gallon hat and some cowboy boots. But give this cowgirl a twist. Do crazy doll makeup. Put large pink circles on your checks and wear glossy pink lip balm. Add some playful beads or a pink boa. Add some flair to the traditional cowgirl look and let everyone know that you are ready to party!
4. Midnight the Cat- Get out that cute black dress that looks so great on you. Now go out to the store and purchase black gloves, black cat ears, black felt, a black bow tie, and a black eye pencil (if you don’t already have one). Get your glue gun ready because you will need it. Fashion yourself two “hind feet” from the felt. Just cut out two cat paw shapes from the black felt. Use a small dab of glue to stick these on top of the shoes you plan to wear. Now just put on the dress, the bow tie, the cat ears, and the “hind feet” and draw three whiskers on each side of your nose with the black eye pencil. Do your makeup dark and mysterious. This costume gives you another chance to wear your favorite black dress.
5. Statue of liberty- For this costume, you will need: two yards of solid green cotton fabric, a green t-shirt, a sewing machine or safety pins, green face paint, construction paper, and tape. Start off with the construction paper. Take one sheet of yellow and pinch the center of the sheet. Then twist it so that all four corners point the same direction and crinkle the paper a bit. Now do the same with another one and stack them. Now fold a brown piece three times hamburger style and tape this around the bottom of the yellow “flame” so it can act as a handle. Use another couple of pieces to make a crown like the one lady liberty wears. Now wrap the fabric around your stomach and flip the access over your shoulder. Fasten the area that wraps around your stomach either with safety pins or by sewing it together. Remember to wear some shorts underneath. Also, remember to always let the fabric look billowy. Now put on the green shirt, the fabric, the props (crown and fire), and the green face paint. Good to go! If you really want to stay true to life you can bring a book but it will be a hassle.