I have moved on from Windows XP, I went to Vista (big mistake) as soon as it came out and then fled to Windows 7 when it came out. I still constantly have to repair Windows XP problems (my family refuse to upgrade even though Windows 7 is awesome) for friends and family. Recently I found a new XP error I had never encountered and it was stopping the computer from updating. The error was 0x800A138F and it wasn’t allowing updates to occur.
Error IUENGINE Determining machine configuration (Error 0x8007007E: The specified module could not be found.)
Well there are as usual for most Windows problems several possible solutions you will want to test to see if they fix your problem. I will give you steps on how to complete each solution and what it is fixing. You can go through each one until your problem is fixed (hopefully).
So what is causing this issue, well it’s probably a corrupt DLL file within the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) version 3.0 or just a missing or corrupt DLL file in general. We will start with the most common solution to the error code 0x8007007E, that is to re-register the MSXML DLL file, to do this simply follow these steps:
Type regsvr32 msxml3.dll
Now reboot your server and test out the updates, if you are able to find them and install them you are done and can once again enjoy Windows XP. If for some reason that fix didn’t work then don’t worry there are a few other fixes that might correct the issue for you.
Next attempt to fix the problem we will uninstall the MSXML version 3.0 software and re-install it (get the MSXML 3.0 HERE). To do this follow these steps:
Download software from above link
Click Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Find MSXML 3.0 and click on it
Let the uninstaller complete
Reboot your computer
Once rebooted and logged back in install the MSXML 3.0 software from the downloaded installer
Once the software has been reloaded reboot your system again (not always required but a good idea)
Once rebooted and logged back in test your Windows updates, if they work we are done if not then we can try one last thing. If the two stated fixes above didn’t work for you then I suggest using the built in scan tool sfc /scannow to check for corrupt or missing files and then to let Windows fix them for you. To do this follow these steps:
Type sfc /scannow
Let the scan complete and it will let you know if it finds anything (like missing or corrupt files) then you have the choice to allow Windows to try to fix the issues. After it is done and has completed successfully test out your Windows updates again, if they work you are good to go if it hasn’t worked then I am sorry I am not sure what your issue is and you might have to do a reinstall of Windows XP.