Travel is built into our genes, it comes from when we were a nomadic people, leaving the forests of Africa on an adventure that would see humanity cover the globe. And, we haven’t stopped yet, traveling far into space, to other planets, just because they are there. Or, possibly, because we know that we will be needing a new home planet pretty soon, when we finish destroying this one. However, traveling to Mars may not yet be possible even for the average Billionaire, so us working stiffs have to look a lot closer to home for travel opportunities.
Some unique summer travel tips to help you along on your way would include, but not be limited to;
* Be silly. You are traveling to have fun, so when you see something on a road sign that triggers a giggle or a shiver, then go and investigate. Some times, the best parts of a journey are the unexpected and unplanned parts. Look for the “biggest” this, or the “oldest” that, things that were made to attract tourists who left the smaller highways for the turnpikes.
* Listen closely. If you hear the musical stylings of “duelling banjos”, then hightail it out of there, and don’t look back. Go home and rent the movie “Deliverance” instead, because watching the movie would be a lot easier than living through it.
* Watch a lot of road trip movies before you go. Well, this could get you into a heap of trouble, both with your parents, friends and employers, as well as the law. Most road trip movies involve either a major party and finding love, or a major party and finding your love cut up into little pieces in a shed. But, if you watch some older road trip movies, like with Jan and Dean, Elvis or the Beach Boys, well, don’t expect to find that type of road trip nowadays. But the movies do give you ideas of places to go, and what they look like (I know, sort of what like the Internet can do).
* Keep an eye on the map. If you find yourself in Harlem instead of Hoboken, make sure all of the doors are locked, the windows are all rolled up and the insurance is paid in full. Use the GPS in your smartphone instead of a map, as they are more up to date.
* Make sure the only donut in the car is edible. Get rid of that silly little donut temporary tire in your trunk, and replace it with a tire that matches the four tires on your car. When you get a flat, you have to change the flat with the spare, then go to the closest garage and pay whatever they charge for a similar tire. Having a matching tire, already on a matching rim in your truck will save time and money. Make sure to get another tire when you pass the next tire sale sign!
* Make sure your tires match. It may even be a bit more important than making sure your socks match. A lot of people will just buy one tire at a time, when they need to replace a worn out or blown tire, and will buy whatever is on sale. Make sure that your tires are all the same make and model.
* Try to stay off of the road on the hotter days. Stay at a lake, or at a water park for those scorching hot, sunny days, and leave the rainy and cloudy days for driving.
Travel safe, travel informed.