Paint thinner is often used as a cleaning solution for tools and surfaces that get splashed with paint. Paint thinner is oil-based and allows you to thin out your paint so that the paint goes on a surface easier and more evenly. Although people use paint thinner as a way to clean up paint from a surface, it can be toxic and pose a risk of inhaled or ingested. Paint thinner is often something we all have in our home and turn to during our home renovation project. Paint thinners are acceptable ways to get rid of unwanted paint from tools and surfaces but precautions need to be taken while using the product. If you are using paint thinner then you might want to know some useful tips to help you out.
Paint thinner is actually a product you can use over and over which will save you a lot of money. If you are using paint thinner to clean a paint brush then all you need to do is put some paint thinner in a container and set the brushes in there. Allow the brushes to sit in the paint thinner for a few days and you will notice all of the paint is at the bottom of the container. Take out the paint brushes and then pour the paint thinner into a new container using a coffee filter or paper towel to catch the paint before it enters the new container. This will allow you to reuse the paint thinner again which will save you money and time and will help you if you have a lot of painting and cleaning to do in a short amount of time.
When you are using paint thinner you always want to wear protective equipment to ensure your safety while using the chemicals. Since paint thinner contains toxins that are dangerous, you should always wear eye glasses and gloves while working around the paint thinner. Make sure you are wearing a long-sleeve shirt and some jeans so that if the paint thinner splashes on you it will not get directly onto your skin. If the paint thinner comes in contact with your skin it could cause a rash and you might feel nauseous and dizzy.
Always use paint thinner in a well-ventilated area preferably outside if possible due to the fumes. If you are unable to work outside then you should open up all of the doors and windows in your house and also plug in a fan to create more air circulation. The paint thinner emits potentially toxic fumes and you should not be breathing them in because it could make you dizzy and you might vomit.
Use paint thinner in an area where there is no food or drinks so that you do not accidentally ingest the paint thinner. Although this is pretty simple and seems like common sense, a lot of people think it is okay to have a drink in the room while working with paint thinner. Food and drinks are easily cross-contaminated by a drop or splash that you might not even be aware of and this could be deadly. Ingesting the paint thinner, even a small amount can cause significant internal damage. If you do not know you have ingested it then you might not notice the effects until it is too late which could be fatal.
Paint thinner is something that needs to be stored away from small children and pets so keep it on a high shelf. Even when you have the paint thinner out and you are using it, you need to keep it at a location where small children and pets are not going to grab it or knock it over. Paint thinner is toxic and dangerous so of course you should not store it near where a pet or child could easily have access to it. If a pet or small child got into the paint thinner and ingested even a small amount, this could be dangerous and possibly fatal.
When you are using paint thinner you should also keep it away from combustible products or flammable products. Paint thinner is a combustible product which means it has chemicals in it which could start a deadly fire if placed by an open flame or other combustible material. When you are using the paint thinner you should place it in an area where no other materials are located so that you can decrease the fire risk associated with using the paint thinner.
You also want to make sure that while you are using the paint thinner, you place what you need in a small metal or glass container. Do not leave out the whole bucket or container of paint thinner because there is a greater risk for an accident to happen. Place an amount of the paint thinner you think you will use in a glass or metal container for easier access when you need it. Having a large container full of paint thinner is more likely to cause an accident or fire and it can also be hard to carry around with you. Using a small container of paint thinner will allow you to travel with it easily and will keep you safe while using the product.
You should always remember to check the paint thinner lid to make sure it is on properly and secured tightly. If you leave the lid of the paint thinner off or not all of the way secured, you might end up with a chemical spill. Spilling paint thinner is never a good idea and can lead to a fire hazard as well as health hazard to you and your family. Make sure when you are done using the paint thinner that the lid is properly on and it is secured the right way. Place the container on a shelf high in the garage or other area so that it can not easily be knocked over by a pet or small child. You should also keep the paint thinner in a separate location from other household chemicals or other paint chemicals so that it does not cause an explosion.
When you use paint thinner it is also a good idea to remember that a lot goes a long way. You do not need to use a lot of paint thinner to get the job done, whether that is cleaning tools or thinning paint. Use small amounts of paint thinner at a time and continue to add more as you see fit but do not just pour a big cup of paint thinner in at one time. Using too much paint thinner can have the same effects as not using enough so you want to gradually add more if needed. Paint thinner is oil-based so even a small amount will spread out and seem like a lot more than it was. If you are cleaning your leg or hand with paint thinner this is especially important to remember. Just put a little dab on a rag and then clean the area of your skin that has the paint on it if you want to use the paint thinner to get the paint from your skin.
Finally, it is important you discard paint thinner appropriately and not in the trash or down the sink drain. Paint thinner is a toxic chemical and should never be poured into a drain or pipe and should never be thrown away in household trashcans. Paint thinner usually requires you to take it to a special location to get rid of it and this information is found on the side of the container. If you are unsure of what to do with the discarded paint thinner then you can always call your local county health office and they can tell you if a place is available to drop it off at in your area.