Parents should advise their children not to use the ‘Shrek’ glasses purchased at McDonald’s, this product has been recalled by the fast food company due to a toxic chemical called cadmium.
It is reported that cadmium (Cadmio) was found in the picture painted on the ‘Shrek’ drinking glasses, and as a result an estimated 12 million of the glasses have been recalled. Also, the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission has warned consumers to stop using the glasses because long-term cadmium exposure can cause health problems.
What is Cadmium
It is a natural element in the earth’s crust that is usually found as a mineral combined with other elements such as oxygen, chlorine or sulfur. Some candmium is in all rocks and soils, including coal and mineral fertilizers.
How Cadmium May Affect Health
Severe lung damage can result from breathing high levels of cadmium. The stomach can become severely irrated by eating food or drinking water that contains very high levels of cadmium, leading to vomiting and diarrhea.
Long-term exposure to lower levels of cadmium in the air, water or food can lead to a buildup of cadmium int he kidneys and result in possible kidney disease. Other long-term effects are lung damage and fragile bones.
Animal studies indicate that the young, children, are more susceptible than adults to a loss of bone and decreased bone strength from exposure to cadmium
Are There Medical Test to Determine Exposure to Cadmium
Cadmium can be measured in urine, blood, hair and nails. Urinary cadmium has been shown to accurately reflect the amount of cadmium in the body.
The amount of cadmium in the blood shows recent exposure to cadmium. The amount of cadmium in the urine shows both past and recent exposure to cadmium.
If you have one or more of the McDonald’s ‘Shrek’ drinking glasse you can return it, no reciept is required, and you will receive a $3 refund. It is not recommended that you keep this product which has been recalled, keep your family and children safe by taking the McDonald’s ‘Shrek’ glass(es) back to the store so that the company can properly dispose of the glasses or do whatever is required.
Shrek has captured the hearts of the young and old alike, and owning these glasses would be nice if they were safe for our health, unfortunately that is not the case. Parents if you are concerned about the amount of exposure to you or your child(ren) contact your doctor and request to be tested.
McDonald’s providing $3 refunds for ‘Shrek’ glasses – By Francine Knowles, Chicago Sun-Times
Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry – ToxFAQ’s for Cadmium, 9/2008