Blonde bombshell, Reese Witherspoon, is said to be gearing up for yet another movie about an American classic songstress. As you may remember, Witherspoon won on Oscar in 2005 for her portrayal of June Carter in the critically-acclaimed “Walk the Line.” Now, she’s looking to take on American legend, Peggy Lee, with writer-director Nora Ephron. While Reese Witherspoon is still negotiating on whether or not she will star in the film, she has secured rights from the Lee estate and has since approached Ephron and Marc Platt (producer of the Legally Blonde movies) about the project.
Peggy Lee got her big break during the 1940’s, when she began singing with King of Swing, Benny Goodman’s band. Through the years Lee proved herself, not only an impressive vocalist, but also a successful lyricist, composer, and actress. She appeared in the popular 1953 movie, “The Jazz Singer” and earned an Oscar nomination for her role in “Pete Kelly’s Blues” in 1955. She’s also well known as the sultry songstress stray from Disney’s popular animated film, “Lady and the Tramp.”
If you’re a fan of Reese Witherspoon or, if you’re looking for a good showcase of some of this amazing blonde actress’ talents, be sure to check out some of these other great Reese Witherspoon roles:
1. The Man in the Moon, 1991 – Playing the role of young Dani Trant, in a tale of sisterly love and heartache, Reese Witherspoon was nominated as Most Promising Actress by the Chicago Film Critics Assn. and as Best Young Actress at the Young Artist Awards.
2. Cruel Intentions, 1999 – Reese shines in this drama about the manipulative qualities of New York teenagers in this dark story of seduction and love. She was nominated for several awards for her portrayal of Annette Hargrove in this 1999 film.
3. Election, 1999 – Perhaps one of my favorite films by Reese Witherspoon, she plays an ambitious young girl who’s determined to win the school election in this 1999 comedy. One has to love the overambitious high school girl roles – Reese received numerous awards and nominations for her amazing portrayal over blonde go-getter, Tracy Flick.
4. Legally Blonde, 2001 – Bubbly sorority girl, Elle Woods, goes to earn a law degree in her attempt to win back an ex-boyfriend who doesn’t believe she’s serious enough. Reese Witherspoon is unforgettable in this role and won numerous awards and nominations for her role as ditzy, yet not-so-ditzy Elle.
5. Walk the Line, 2005 – Playing the role of June Carter Cash in this blockbuster biopic about famed country music artist, Johnny Cash, Reese Witherspoon won countless awards for her portrayal and won countless of fans in this role. Even for those who aren’t a fan of country music, this movie is a must-see. While it is a biographical movie about Johnny Cash, it’s an amazing story that draws you right into the tale.
Msnbc.com – Movies