Ever wondered what happens to your car when it is no longer a car? Many things happen to your car when it finally heads to the scrap yard for demolishing. The materials and parts are recycled and used to manufacture new cars or other products. Many of the parts are recycled and used as automotive products. Many automotive experts say that about 85 percent of most vehicles are recycled. That leaves about 15 percent heading to the landfills. Here is a list of items on most cars that are either removed, recycled or reused:
Recycling the Engines on Cars
Almost everything in an old car’s engine can be recycled for new. The steel, iron, and aluminum are all used in new car components. Those that are not, are melted down and used as construction materials.
Recycling the Wiring on Cars
The copper wiring in most cars is torn out and melted down for use in new cars.
Recycling the Bumpers on Cars
Most bumpers are made from high impact polymers. Most of them are removed and used to construct new bumpers, as well as containers and outdoor furniture.
Recycling the Fluids on Cars
Almost all the fluids in a scraped car are sent for recycling or are sold as reused products. These include antifreeze, gasoline, oil, brake fluid, and windshield cleaner.
Recycling the Tires on Cars
The old tires on scraped cars is shredded, cleaned, and processed to be used in various ways. Playground surfaces, athletic fields, the base of roadways and even mulch in gardens are some of the uses of used tires.
Recycling the Glass on Cars
The glass windshields and windows on scraped cars are usually recycled to make new windows and windshields for new cars. The glass can also be recycled for office building windows, glass containers, tile flooring, and glass jewelry.
Recycling the Batteries on Cars
The old batteries on most scraped cars are either sold as used parts or they are recycled to make new batteries.
Recycling the Other Parts on Cars
Most of the other parts on cars heading to the scrap yard are either resold or reconditioned for sale later. These include fenders, doors, engines, wheels, alternators, starters, gas tanks, transmissions, steering wheels, electronics, stereos, and the seats.
Recycling the Metal on Cars
Anything left on the car that is salvageable will be crushed and sent to a shredder. Huge magnets are used to separate the iron and steel from the aluminum metals. These metals are then sent to a recycling mill to be melted down and reused for car parts, construction materials and other consumer products.