I loved the bubbies and the table flipping of the first season of the Real Housewives of New Jersey. I’m from New Jersey, and I couldn’t wait to see the extreme ladies they would pick for the show. What makes this different from the other franchises, is that half the women are related. Dina and Caroline are sisters who married, get this, brothers. That’s right, they are both Manzo’s so they are sisters and sister in laws. Jacqueline is married to Dina and Caroline’s brother. Whew. That leaves only two ladies who don’t have to have the intense Italian family loyalty to each other. Unfortunately, one of them might as well be related to the ladies, leaving only Danielle on the outside.
Season one was fun and fantastic, but season two has focused too much on the drama between all the ladies and Danielle. There is little that is interesting about four versus one, even if that one is a sociopath. To save the series, they definitely need another housewife or two that is not related to the family and they might just want to get rid of Danielle. Let’s see how the New Jersey ladies rank when pitted against each other.
(5) Dina Manzo: She is interesting enough, but with her husband refusing to appear on the show, and her daughter no longer appearing season two, we really don’t get to see the whole picture with her. She is also keeping us from knowing what went down in the fall out between her and Danielle off camera. Throw us a bone here Dina, we see less and less of your business and life and it just is not exciting. Her best moment this season was a result of Teresa asking her to be Audriana’s god mother.
(4) Danielle Staub: These shows are supposed to bring us some drama, but like Kelly Bensimon on the New York Franchise, Danielle is clearly not mentally well. She lies and becomes easily obsessed. Her poor daughters are constantly trying to talk sense into her. It’s very disturbing to watch. No matter what really happened in her past, I am far more concerned about her present. She needs help. I don’t think it is healthy for her to be doing this show.
(3) Caroline Manzo: She is the mother hen that rules over her sister and sister in law. She holds the hardest line when it comes to family loyalty, and while she says she doesn’t care about Danielle, she spends and awful lot of time talking about her. She’s the mother of three adult children and it is great to watch their relationship. She is absolutely a normal Italian mother cooking and caring for her kids. Her and her husband have a really great marriage too.
(2) Jacqueline Laurita: She really is the sweetest women of all the different franchises. She’s beautiful and curvy, with a heart of gold. She tries to be there for everyone and keep the piece between her sister in laws and Danielle. After season one, she could no longer put up with Danielle. We watched Jacqueline go through heartbreaking miscarriages, which she openly discussed. She had two adorable sons and a teenage daughter from a previous relationship, who she is often at odds with.
(1) Teresa Giudice: It’s hard to be more funny and adorable than Teresa. Sure, the way she drops thousands of dollars on her daughters is a little disturbing, but it’s great television. She has a cartoonish sounding voice and a contagious laugh. She has no problem discussing her sex life, and amazingly claims her and Joe do it everyday. Girl, right a book about it. She did write a book about being a skinny Italian, which is a brilliant idea! Teresa is the quintessential Jersey girl, and she doesn’t have a nanny or a housekeeper! She’s super woman and she does it all in heels!