1)Why is it that Jacob was able to leave the island and the Smoke Monster was not? There are two possible reasons for this: First, it could be a perk that came with being the island protector. After all, Ben told Hurley that the option of leaving the island is up to him. Jacob could have decided that he was the only one who was allowed to leave the island and no one else could. The second possibility is that as the Smoke Monster was dead, he was restricted from ever leaving the island until he could achieve corporeal form. Because the Smoke Monster didn’t achieve this until he got Locke’s body, this is the reason why he was stuck on the island.
2)Why was Jack the only one to fall into the middle of the island? The survivors were split in half on the island, depending upon which part of the plane they were sitting in. Reviewing the show at the point of the plane split, Jack was sitting right at the break line. Based off of the airflow at the time of the flight, Jack’s position could have put him in an advantageous spot to be picked up by the current and delivered farther away from the rest of the group. Of course, it could also be the hand of Jacob guiding one of his chosen to the heart of the island.
3)So what about the temple? And the statue? Where did they come from? Considering the construction of the statue and the hieroglyphics, apparently the Egyptians made their way to the island at some point in time. The other possibility, if you ever watched the early 1980’s version of the BBC show The Tomorrow People, it was a race of space people. The existence of the electromagnetic field could have called down their spaceship to the island. But this would open up a completely different can of worms, so let’s not go there.
4) What’s the Smoke Monster’s name? This will probably remain one of the biggest mysteries of life on the island. Jacob never named him anything other than ‘brother’. Their crazy adoptive mother only referred to him as ‘son’. This provides for the Smoke Monster a Voldemort air, as a ‘he who shall not be named’ sort of person. However, if you feel he needs name, let’s call him Morrie.
5) So Michael was on Widmore’s freighter. What happened to Walt? He grew up a little bit too fast, even for the island. Since he hit his growth spurt, it would be hard to explain how he grew so quickly if four seasons on the island were only three months. So, hence his rapid escape off the island. His random appearance in season four to Locke indicated that Walt either came from the future to talk to him and let him know his work wasn’t done yet, or Smoke Monster/Morrie found a way to kill him and actually telling John he had more to do.
6) So who were those gunmen on the outrigger boat? Um, highly evolved Egyptians who created guns? Yeah, this is going to be biggest mystery #2 on the island.
7) So what happened to Libby in the mental hospital in the flashbacks? Much like how many licks it would take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop, the world may never know.
8) So why weren’t people like Michael and Mr. Ecko present in the church during the flash sideways? Since the flash sideways was in essence a purgatory before going to Heaven, Michael and Mr. Ecko may not have been allowed to be in purgatory when they died. Considering Ecko’s past habits and the bad things that Michael did while on the island (killing Ana Lucia being one of them), they may be in some other reality, or they could be still atoning for their sins somewhere in the purgatory reality. Either that, or they are both trapped forever as part of the whispering voices on the island.
9) What was the deal with the polar bear? One of two things- 1) it’s a time hopping, moving from once place to another island. Maybe they picked up the polar bear during a jump. 2) Those wacky Dharma folks might have brought one with them for experiments.
10) So who finished the wheel that allows the island to move? One of the future inhabitants of the island? Maybe the Egyptians? Or Morrie learned how to pick it up by himself later in his life/death.