Adding a patriotic flair to your wedding this summer is incredibly easy with this red, white, and blue flower pot centerpiece idea. This project is also great for casual summer or Fourth of July barbeque weddings.
For this project, you will need:
– Three terra cotta flower pots in the same size (see note below)
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Banner Red
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in True Blue
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss White
– Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Ocean Blue
– Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Red Pepper
– Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Gloss White
– Fancy lettering stencils in the bride and groom’s monogram
– Silver colored fabric
– White pillar candles
– Newspaper or a large drop cloth
To begin, cover the area in which you will be working with a few layers of old newspaper sheets or a large drop cloth. Turn each of the three terra cotta pots upside down on your workspace. Prime the bottom and outside of each with an even coat of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Let the three primed pots dry for about an hour before proceeding.
Paint the outside of one pot with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Banner Red. Let the red painted pot set for about twenty minutes before adding a second coat of spray paint. Repeat this process, painting the second pot with two coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in True Blue and the third pot with two coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss White. Let the pots dry overnight before proceeding.
Turn the pots right side up. In pencil, trace the couple’s monogram from a stencil onto the side of each pot. Fill in the monogram design using two coats of paint from a paint pen. (Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss White, Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Red Pepper, or Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Gloss White.) Match the color of paint pen to a different color of patriotic painted pot. Let the monogram dry completely.
Cut three pieces of silver colored fabric so that each fills the inside of one pot. Add a white pillar candle. Arrange the pots in a “triangle” fashion on the center of the table so that each shows the monogram design outward.
NOTE: The size of terra cotta pots used depends on how much of the center table space you want your centerpiece to take up. The larger the pot, the more room it takes.
TIP: Add additional details to the pots by using star shaped stencils in conjunction with the monogram stencil.