Chocolate fans, this is for you. Wouldn’t it be great if you could start your day with a big dose of tasty raw chocolate? Well, you can. Replacing your morning coffee with organic raw chocolate will increase your health and help you loose weight. Here’s the scoop.
Organic Raw Chocolate or cacao contains well over 300 compounds, it was named “Food of the Gods” and used as money by many early civilizations. Here are a few compounds cacao contains that contribute to radiant health as well as weight reduction: protein, fats, carbohydrates, fiber, iron, copper, magnesium, calcium, PEA, theobromine and flavanols. To learn how raw chocolate is produced, watch this short video.
Why consume raw cacao to begin your day?
1. It is the highest know food source of antioxidants ( ORAC rating ). The USDA suggests at least 5000 ORAC units per day to stop damage to cells from oxygen free radicals. 1 tablespoon of organic raw Balinese cacao powder rates at nearly 7000 ORAC( oxygen radical absorbance capacity ) units, 700% more than it’s cooked counterpart, cocoa.
2. Top food source of magnesium. Approximately 80% of our population are magnesium deficient. Magnesium is a powerful stress reliever, is needed to build strong bones and teeth and is used to relax muscles throughout the body. It works in harmoniously in the body with calcium.
3. Cacao promotes cardiovascular health. It helps to significantly protect the heart by lowering blood pressure, reducing inflammation, decreasing LDL (bad cholesterol) and raising HDL (good cholesterol) and regulating platelet function.
4. Rich in flavonoid content. A part of the polyphenols group and named flavanols in cacao, they exist in substantial amounts. Research suggests that some flavanols protect against certain chronic diseases, especially cardiovascular disease.
5. MAO inhibitors. Dr. Gabriel Cousins, MD, believes that the MAO ( monoamine oxidase enzyme ) inhibitors found in organic raw cacao help to diminish the appetite and facilitate rejuvenation, making cacao a great addition to a weight loss diet.
6. Phenylethylamine ( PEA ). An adrenal related chemical that is created within the brain when we are in love. It plays a role in alertness and focus.
7. Theobromine. Belongs to a classification called methylxanthins and makes up about 2 – 5% of the cacao bean. Theobromine acts as a myocardial stimulant, diuretic, coronary dilator (to lower blood pressure) and smooth muscle relaxant. It is a mild stimulant and helps to metabolize fats while suppressing the appetite and providing sustained energy.
Now you can see how having just 2-3 tablespoons of organic raw Balinese cacao powder every morning can benefit you. Adding extras such as chia seeds, a green powder, maca powder or other favorite superfoods will give you a wonderful nutritious meal, energize your body and brighten your mind. For sustained weight loss and regulation, eating real, whole foods and super nutrition is key. When you ingest large amounts of nutrient dense, alive foods in the morning, you give your body the fuel it needs to run all day. You wouldn’t drive your car without any gasoline in it, would you? Be sure you do not ask your body to perform all day without supplying it high quality nutrition. Eating a nutrient and protein rich breakfast is key to building health, balancing hormones and obtaining optimal body weight.
Chocolate Nutrient Shake
2 cups water
1/4 cup organic raw pine nuts or cashews ( 3 TBS )
3 TBS organic raw cacao powder
2 tsp organic raw chia seeds
2 tsp organic raw maca powder
1 TBS mesquite powder ( optional )
1 TBS green powder
1/2 tsp vanilla powder or alcohol free extract
10 drops stevia or 2-3 TBS coconut palm sugar
2 fresh or frozen figs ( optional, makes it creamy)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit; strawberries, raspberries, cherries (optional )
1/2 cup ice
Blend everything except the chia seeds and ice, adjust the sweetness, then add the chia seeds and ice, blend again until smooth and thick. Enjoy!
Give organic raw chocolate a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Your will reap the reward of vibrant health and prolonged energy, as you cultivate a habit of feeding your body nutrient dense organic alive foods. For more recipes and information, visit my Raw Chocolate for Health page. To get started feeling fabulous right now visit Raw Cacao to pick up some Balinese cacao.
Sources: Wikipedia, metabo-fuel.com