Did you know that the National Sleep Foundation recommends 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night? Did you know that there is a National Sleep Foundation to tell us this? Neither did I until a while ago. Most Americans only get around 6 ½ hours of sleep a night. There are a number of reasons for this; some have trouble getting to sleep while others have trouble staying asleep. Sleep insomnia affects millions every year. It may be our hectic lifestyles or schedules that keep us from getting the proper amount of sleep per night. In any case getting the proper amount of sleep is essential in maintaining focus and health. Energy drinks can only be used so much. Before you decide to try an over the counter sleep aid you may want to consider some of these natural sleep aids for the Z’s you are after.
1. Magnesium and Calcium are both natural sleep boosters and they are even more effective taken together. Try taking 100 to 200 milligrams of magnesium with 500 to 600 milligrams of calcium at night.
2. Wild Lettuce Is known for its properties with reducing anxiety and calming restlessness which actually makes it a great natural sleep aid. Taking 30 to 120mg of Wild Lettuce can help reduce the restlessness and anxiety that can make sleeping difficult.
3. Hops, yes one of the main ingredients in beer is great as a mild sedative when dealing with insomnia and anxiety. This one should be a surprise so try 30 to 120mg of hops extract before bed.
4. Aromatherapy especially lavender, which is widely known for its calming affects and as a sleep aid. The most effective way to use lavender for sleep is to sprits or spray some of this extract on your pillow. They also make lavender pillows if this one is effective for you.
5. Melatonin is the hormone our body produces to go to sleep so it only makes sense that taking this supplement should aid in getting us to sleep. Lower doses of Melatonin are recommended and have proven more effective as a sleep aid. Avoid higher doses of this as they have been known to cause depression as a side effect.
6. Yoga and or meditation seem to be a natural remedy for so many things it’s no wonder they have become popular. Light yoga or stretching exercises followed by 5 to 10 minutes of meditation can help relax and bring on the Z’s.
7. L-theanine – is an amino acid found in green tea that helps promote a calm alertness throughout the day. L-theanine will also help with a deeper sleep. Although this amino acid is found in green tea you will probably have to find a supplement or extract because green tea does not contain enough of it to help with sleep.
8. Valerian root is great for helping speedup falling asleep, and helps with deeper sleep. Be cautious with this one because some people have noticed an energizing affect with this. If this is the case for you try taking the 200 to 600mg supplement during the day. If not, the same amount at bedtime should do the trick.
Good Luck, good night and pleasant dreams.