Recently, I discussed what I felt were the top ten most important scientific discoveries of all time – a list that included everything from the study of Anatomy to the discovery of electricity. Following in its footsteps, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at some important items that had been invented throughout the years and to compile a list of what I thought were the top five most important inventions ever created.
So come along and join me as we take a look at what are the five most important inventions ever created (in no particular order). Let’s see how they compare with your own mental lists. Feel free to let me know your own thoughts and comparisons.
Top Five Most Important Scientific Inventions Ever Made
1. The Internet – Though they have publicly stated otherwise, claiming that it was created by many different people, as opposed to any one person or group of people, it is Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf who are generally credited with the creation of the Internet. By inventing the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) in 1972-1973, they allowed data to be moved around the modern day Internet. Because of this, we are able to meet and talk to people all over the world. Endless information is at our fingertips and a whole new world is just begging to be explored.
2. Electric Washing Machines – Before Alva J. Fischer invented the first electric washing machine in 1908, doing the laundry was backbreaking work. Crouched by the local river or stream, washing the clothes meant scrubbing your delicates with some abrasive sand and then beating them against rocks. You wanted a rinse and spin cycle? Dunk them in what was oftentimes rather questionable looking (and smelling) water and swish. Because of this wonderful invention, we now have cleaner clothes, we smell better, and we frequently forget to add the fabric softener.
3. Disposable Lighters – If you’ve ever tried to go the old Boy Scout route and light a fire the old-fashioned way, you’ll understand why I placed disposable lighters on my list of top five most important inventions ever created. First released by the S.T. Dupont company, in 1972, disposable lighters quickly became all the rage and were soon found in almost every American pocket.
4. Refrigerators – The first refrigerators can be traced clear back to Glasgow, in the year 1748. The first real machine, built with practical purpose, was created by Jacob Perkins in 1834. Prior to these refrigerator machines, people had to dig out holes in the earth, line them with straw and snow, and then pack all of their food within. Living in the South, all I can do is scratch my head and send a hearty thank you out to Mr. Perkins. Without his invention, who knows what I would have done for a Klondike Bar?
5. Batteries – Believe it or not, the very first batteries date back to the time of the ancient Egyptians, who were believed to have electroplated antimony more than 4300 years ago. It was a gentleman by the name of Alessandro Volta, who created our first modern-day batteries, clear back in 1800.
So there you have it – My personal top five list of the most important inventions ever made. How do they match up with yours?