If your child loves the superhero, the Flash, you may have a hard time tracking down a themed t-shirt for a reasonable price. You can quickly make your own the Flash t-shirt with just a few basic supplies and some scrap fabrics. Then, use the finished product for 2 different events: Halloween or a birthday party!
Project Time Estimate: 1 Hour
Project Cost Estimate: Less than $10
The Flash Halloween Costume Adaptation
Use this creative t-shirt as the basis for an inexpensive Flash Halloween costume. Dress your little superhero in matching red sweatpants and a solid red hat. Fashion the Flash’s distinctive yellow ear pieces using yellow fabric or heavy cardstock and glue them to the hat.
The Flash Birthday Party Outfit Adaptation
Create a Flash themed birthday party complete with this special t-shirt for the birthday child! You could even personalize the shirt by embroidering the child’s name and age under the Flash symbol or by using fabric paints. Optionally, let each attendee sign the back of the t-shirt using black fabric paint for a special keepsake.
Supplies for the Flash Superhero T-shirt
New, solid red t-shirt (check Target or Michael’s for inexpensive blank shirts)
Scrap of bright yellow fabric
Scrap of white fabric
Scrap of tear-away stabilizer
Scrap of heat-n-bond lite
Optional: black fabric paint
Step-by-Step Instructions to Make the Flash Superhero T-Shirt for Halloween or Birthday Parties
1. Pre-wash the red t-shirt to eliminate any sizing and prevent bleeding.
2. Draw a circle and a lighting bolt onto the paper to use as your pattern. Be sure to reverse your lightning bolt so that it is oriented correctly for the finished product.
3. Trace the pattern shapes onto the heat-n-bond lite.
4. Iron the white and yellow fabrics.
5. Use the iron to adhere the heat-n-bond lite to the wrong side of your fabric. Apply the circle to the white fabric and the lightning bolt to the allow fabric.
6. Cut along the pattern lines, cutting through both the heat-n-bond lite and the fabric.
7. Iron your washed red t-shirt.
8. Peel the paper backing off the circle and lighting bolt.
9. Position the circle and lighting bolt onto the red t-shirt.
10. Iron into place, following the heat-n-bond lite instructions.
11. Be sure to have tear-away stabilizer on the inside of the shirt, underneath the Flash design. The stabilizer will make this project much easier and will help avoid puckers!
12. Use black thread to satin stitch around the entire design.
13. Clip threads.
14. Tear out stabilizer.
15. Iron the finished project and enjoy!