Creating homemade instruments can be enjoyable for children, but it can also be a learning experience. They will be able to learn about art and music at the same time. They can learn how to create something of their own and they can get a feel of how instruments are made.
One instrument that is easy and fun to make would be the ever so popular Kleenex box guitar. Children have been making Kleenex box guitars for many years. It is not hard to make, and can be made by using common household objects.
If you and your child are interested in making the Kleenex box guitar, then here are the materials and directions needed to do this fun musical art project.
Empty Kleenex box.
Empty toilet paper or paper towel roll tube.
Three or four large rubber bands.
Pen or marker.
Colored pencils or crayons.
1. If desired, decorate the empty Kleenex box and the tube. You can paint it and let it dry. Whether you paint it or not, you can also draw on it with the colored pencils or crayons, cut out designed with the construction paper and glue it on, or put stickers on it.
2. Take the tube and hold it to one of the ends of the Kleenex box. Keep it in the center of the end of the box.
3. Use the pen or marker to trace the end of the tube onto the box. There should now be a circle on the end of the Kleenex box.
4. Take the scissors and carefully cut out the circle in the box. You may have to poke a small hole in the box to get you started, so you can easily start cutting it out.
5. Take the tube and stick it inside of the hole you cut out.
6. Put a piece of tape on the end of the tube. You should be able to do so right through the hole in the front of the Kleenex box by sticking tape on the inside of the tube and sticking it to the inside of the box.
7. Take the rubber bands and put them on the Kleenex box. They should be on the box long ways, so that they are going around the end of the box (next to the tube). They will act as the guitar strings.
Now you have your own homemade guitar. It’s very easy to make and can be a lot of fun to play with in the end. Kids can form their own band of homemade instruments and put on a show or parade for others!
Enjoy making your homemade Kleenex Box guitar! May you and your children have fun creating and playing music on your new guitar!