As anyone who has ever read my writing knows, I believe that buying local is a great way to not only help the small business community, but to support your own local economy. As such, it can be difficult to practice conscious consumerism in all areas of our every-day lives. For sake of convenience and many times lower prices, going to chain establishments is the logical choice. However, you would be surprised to find out that there are ways you can buy local that are just as convenient or inexpensive-you just have to know where to look.
In the great city of Akron, Ohio (my loving hometown), one of the greatest assets we have are a variety of local, independent grocery stores. It doesn’t get much more “every-day” than the food we eat on a daily basis. Though some of these stores may not necessarily be in your particular neighborhood, it is well worth the drive to find delicious, and oftentimes more nutritious food with local roots.
1. Seven Grains Natural Market: Located in Tallmadge, Seven Grains has a wide variety of organic produce, meat, dairy, and prepared foods-all of which are fantastic and certainly worth trying. They have a nice selection of bulk foods, and aren’t too pricey. They also carry the delicious Field Roast Sausage so coveted by vegetarians as well. All around, a great store. Info:
Seven Grains Natural Market
92 West Ave.
2. Krieger’s Health Food Market: I spend a lot of time at this Krieger’s, and I can attest that it offers absolutely fabulous products-many from local farmers, bakers, and food artisans in the area. The deli is stocked with a great array of meats and cheese, and the sour cream potato salad is to die for. The best part is that not only can you get great produce, but you can do most of your shopping all in that one store. I do all the time! Info:
Krieger’s Health Food Market
615 Graham Road
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221-1305
3. Mustardseed Market: Mustardseed Market is Fairlawn’s own locale for delicious organic and local produce, as well as a host of other offerings. They carry a wide variety of bulk items, as well as a huge assortment of the best natural and healthy foods there are. The prepared food is absolutely phenomenal, and the Café is equally as good. Make sure to try the Asian coleslaw if you get a chance. It’s to die for. Only downside-a bit expensive. Info:
3885 Medina Road
Akron, OH 44333-2449
4. Shaffer’s Market: This smaller grocery store in Uniontown is fabulous for excellent produce in the summer, but is great for everything else year round. Like Krieger’s, they have a wonderful deli, and also carry Buffalo meat-a rarer product across the grocery stores of the greater Akron area. I would highly suggest visiting if you live in the area. Info:
8 West Turkeyfoot Lake Road
Akron, OH 44319-4012
5. Beiler’s Penn Dutch Market: I don’t think you find produce much cheaper than you do at Beiler’s, but it certainly isn’t lacking quality. You can find inexpensive, delicious produce at a great price, even if it isn’t part of the weekly specials they offer. There is also a wide assortment of bulk foods, and a fabulous deli to check out. If you want fresh, and you want a great deal, this is certainly the place to go. Info:
Beiler’s Penn Dutch Market
13160 Cleveland Avenue Northwest
Uniontown, OH 44685-8089
So there you have it-five local and wonderful grocery stops it the greater Akron area. Make sure to support your local businesses by purchasing food grown, prepared, and sold by hard working Akronites like yourself. Cheers!