The 1920s era was a mix of classy and dangerously glamorous style. The great style of gangster men and flapper women bring an exciting theme for an engagement party. Creating an engagement party based on the 1920s can be very simple once you get some ideas going. Think of everything that makes a great party such as guest invites, food, drink and entertainment and get started. Here are some ideas that can get you going to developing your party.
Colors for the Theme
The essential color’s for this kind of theme would be red,white and black. I chose these because it was the color most worn by the gangster men and the sexy flapper gals.The men wore black tuxedos and the women wore short dresses in primarily these three colors.
1.To give make the room more 20’s I say hang black and white posters up of famous stars in the 1920’s. To spice it up and make it more about you and your spouse get your photograph taken in costume and in black and white blow it up into a poster and post it up as the main picture. Everyone will love it and so will you for more feel long dark curtains where any doors are located also is very 1920’s.
2.The tables are the most work because of the choosing of table cloths,place cards and place card holders. Satin was a very common fabric along with lace in this era so a satin fabric table cloth in black and white would look flashy and elegant. Then match the napkins and china according to how the colors of everything can coordinate. The table cost will cost anywhere from 20.00-40.00 going higher in price depending on length needed. Check out the table cloths at this website http://www.eventswholesale.com/Satin-Tablecloths.htm.
3. Black and white damask invitation cards go great for this them. A simple looking invitation is good maybe with an art clip of martini glasses or and flapper girl and gangster in tuxedo. Cute and simple or creative and personalized. The writing on the invites should have some of the 1920’s slang on it to make it more fun.
4. Place cards and place card holders these are important because pictures paint a thousand words so I chose according to occasion and theme. A two in one silver monogram chair favor box and place holder with a heart charm and a ribbon from Dinnerandamurder.com.
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com/cgi-bin/j/ljpro.cgi? Click the link to see the favor/place holder. Prices are from $0.79-$1.25 each depending on how many you purchase.
5. For the centerpiece of the table a small vase with shortly cut red roses goes well and stays in color scheme as well. Maybe something like this but with 1920’s photos http://www.dinnerandamurder.com/cgi-bin/j/ljpro.cgi?. You can also do something more creative as to put a flapper head band in the middle of the table over a martini glass filled with water and a string of pearls inside but slightly falling out.
Appetizers and Drinks for the Menu
1. The food on the menu should be 1920’s delights. Some good ideas are cocktail meatballs on a tooth pick. Stuffed mushrooms and onion dips which were pretty big. For desserts serve jello, tapioca pudding, ice cream or chocolate covered cherries because these very common and jello came out in the 20’s so its perfect.
2. Gin was a very well known alcohol in during those times so any alcoholic drinks should be made with gin. Choose a martini,long island ice tea, and angels delight followed by the traditional champagne for toasts and light drinking. Find more drinks that interest you for your menu with this link http://cocktails.about.com/od/ginrecipes/Gin_Recipes.htm .
1. Choose a good jazz band to play music that cant make you dance like in the 20’s.
2. Make a play list with all the greats in jazz and dance music and dance all night.
For final touches dim lights give the 1920’s club vibe and providing women with boas can also be a fun idea for them to join in on the fun. I think the theme works better if everyone has to come dressed in the costumes to go along with the theme its best to not have anyone clash with the outcome of the party. This is a very helpful website with anything you might want to know about vintage styled weddings so be creative and enjoy your engagement party. http://www.dinnerandamurder.com/cgi-bin/j/ljpro.cgi?17