Calling someone a geek can be an insulting slur, usually intended by people to label those who excel in school or are uncomfortable meeting new people. However, it could also describe many of us who just can’t seem to take that first brave step to get acquainted with those beyond our front door.
Take heart, fellow geeks. There are ways to break away from your geekiness ways, and get into the social whirl.
1. First, get off that too-comfy couch. Watching TV can become a geek addiction, because you find it a substitute for all the brave action stuff you see on the tube. Venture out into the real world!
2. Sign up for regular exercise at the local gym. You’ll meet many people there who also may be trying to develop their abs and some new friendships.
3. Take classes at the local school or college. You’ll meet others with similar interests in classes about public speaking, French Impressionist painters, world events and learning Mandarin Chinese.
4. Attend music and other types of entertainment events. Whether it’s a Mozart or Snoop Dog concert, you’ll find people there who share similar tastes in music.
5. Form a geek gang. For concerts, clubs, sports events and other large gatherings, don’t be a loner. Get several geek pals together and you’ll have companionship and a better time together. If you just happen to meet up with a geek gang composed of members of the opposite sex, so much the better for mixing and matchmaking.
6. Along with your geek gang or by yourself, sign up for singles tours and cruises. They offer perfect ways for meeting new people in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. If you can’t make any new friends during any of those great opportunities, maybe you’re destined for geek loneliness forever.
7. Try all the latest electronic doodads for meeting new people. Any clever geek can tweet and twitter to find new friends online. You may meet a special new acquaintance halfway around the world or just around the corner from where you live. If you want more than just online pals, join an internet dating service.
8. Be a geek volunteer. When you join a group of workers who feed the homeless, rehabilitate houses for the poor or serve on a neighborhood night watch, you’ll be among the best people anywhere.
Any self-proclaimed geek can reach out and meet new friends. All that is needed is to get up off the couch and boldly go be part of the wonderful world just waiting for you beyond your front door.