The summertime brings with it plenty of dangers for your hair. Heat, chlorine exposure and humidity can quickly have your tresses looking frizzy or untamed. Humidity is notorious for bringing out the natural kinks and curls in your hair. However, if you take the proper precautions, the humidity can be managed, and your hair won’t suffer the awful consequences. You might still have to suffer through the humidity, but at least your hair will look great!
One of the best ways to keep curly or wavy hair from going madly untamed is to use a straightening iron, also known as a flat iron. When used in conjunction with great products like Pantene Pro-V’s new Curly Hair Series hair care products, this simple tactic will do the trick. Even if your hair is only naturally wavy, and not full out curly, a combination of proper products and techniques will control your waves. If you have wavy, curly or even frizzy hair in the humid summer months, take these steps to keep your hair straight and silky smooth and fight the humidity-induced frizzies every day:
1. Summer heat causes lots of sweating, so to prevent your hair from getting even more moist in the humidity, shampoo regularly. Begin by shampooing with Pantene Pro-V’s Curls to Straight Shampoo. This product gently removes build-up while adding softness to control curls and smooth hair fibers, preventing frizz. After massaging into the scalp for several minutes, rinse thoroughly to leave your hair fresh and clean.
2. When you are done shampooing, massage in the Curls to Straight Conditioner and let it sit for five minutes. This nourishing formula will protect your hair from styling damage, prevent ends from splitting and straighten curly or wavy hair with its micro-smoother system. All of this will help to keep hair frizz-free in the humidity.
3. Detangle hair gently with a comb or brush, then work Pantene’s Curly Hair Series Anti-Frizz Straightening Créme throughout your hair from the ends to the scalp. This product should be used while hair is still wet, before styling, to loosen and unwind curls and prepare them for straightening.
4. Blow dry your hair on a low setting, using a paddle brush to gently separate sections of your hair and stretch your curls out straight.
5. Spray your hair with Pantene’s Heat Protection Spray to prepare curls for heat straightening. This protection spray will help prevent split ends and damage that can increase frizz and curl. Separate your hair into two sections, top and bottom. Fasten the top of your hair with a clip. Use a hair straightener (or flat iron) on the bottom section. Release the clip, and use the straightener on the top section.
6. Once you’ve finished straightening your hair, set your style with Pantene’s Curly Hair Series Satin Hold Hairspray (available in either aerosol or non-aerosol). This will help keep your hair straight and satiny smooth all day long.
Products and steps like these provide nourishment and essential maintenance that your frizz-prone hair needs to fight the humidity. Taking special care to style your hair this way on particularly humid days will preserve your frizz-free look no matter how humid the weather might be.
Valerie Monroe, “How Do I Keep My Curly Hair Straight?,” Oprah.com
“How to Keep Your Hair Straight in Humidity.” Beauty Tips and Makeup Tips.