Finding the best car insurance involves shopping around for the best rates and learning about the ins and outs of different insurance policies. Every car insurance provider offers different types of packages based on the type of coverage you need. In addition to learning about the car insurance premiums, the savvy car owner needs to know about limitations of each policy, extra fees and any restrictions imposed on the insured. Here are some tips for getting the best car insurance that meets your needs:
Learn About Different Types of Car Insurance
Every insurance provider offers various types of coverage, and some states require a certain type of coverage, such as personal injury protection (PIP). Most states require at least bodily injury liability insurance, which covers the costs of medical bills for the injured parties.
Most car insurance providers offer the following types of insurance:
– Bodily injury liability insurance
– Comprehensive insurance
– Property damage liability insurance
– Personal injury protection (PIP)
– Collision insurance
– Uninsured or under-insured motorist insurance
– Rental reimbursement programs
– Towing and glass replacement programs
Comparing Car Insurance Policies
It’s generally a good idea to solicit at least three to four quotes from different car insurance providers so that you can make the most informed decision. When requesting a car insurance quote, you will need to consider the following factors:
– Coverage limits of the insurance policy – what are the limitations and restrictions on the policy?
– Annual and monthly rates – are there fees associated with making a monthly payment vs. an up-front annual or semi-annual payment?
– Payment policy – can you make payments over the phone, online or only by check or credit card?
– Discounts – what discounts are you eligible for?
Applying for Car Insurance
Once you’ve determined what type of coverage you want and need, you will need to apply for a car insurance policy. Most car insurance agents will be able to give you a quote over the phone based on your vehicle’s VIN number, make, model, year and your driver’s license number. You will need to answer some questions about your driving history and explain the circumstances surrounding any accidents or traffic violations on your driving record.
After the insurance company offers you a quote, you may be able to submit your formal application online or visit the car insurance provider’s office to fill out your paperwork. At this stage, you may need to submit more details about your vehicle, driving record, personal information and history of car insurance policies. After the application has been submitted, reviewed and accepted, you will be responsible for making the first payment for your premium.