If you have an old t-shirt that you never wear anymore or is worn out, then why throw it out? You know you don’t want to, so you shouldn’t. But you don’t want to keep it in your closet or drawer to take up space. So now what? Find another use for it! No, I don’t mean using it as a rag. Instead, you could always make a purse out of it. It’d be original, stylish, and would represent you. Plus, you can still keep your old t-shirt without it laying around to collect dust and take up space that can be used for other items of clothing.
You can make the old t-shirt purse for yourself, or you can use a loved one’s old t-shirt (with permission) and make the purse as a gift for them. It may take a little time, but in the end, it could be very rewarding.
If you are interested in this project, then here are the materials and directions for taking your old t-shirt and creating a purse out of it.
The old t-shirt.
Sewing needle or a sewing machine.
Ruler or measuring tape.
1. Lay your old t-shirt out on a flat surface, such as a table or even the floor.
2. Take the bottom hem of the t-shirt and line it up.
3. Cut off the bottom, arms, and the top. This includes both arms, the top of the shoulders, and the neck hole of the shirt.
4. The shirt should now be in a square of rectangle shape. Measure the shirt’s height and width using the ruler or measuring tape. Which you use will depend on how big the t-shirt is. You may want to write down the measurements.
5. Turn the old t-shirt inside out.
6. Pin the side together.
7. Take your lining fabric and fold it inside out. Repurposed cotton is recommended for this project.
8. Look at shirt’s measurements and cut the lining an inch longer for the width, and 2-4 inches for the height.
9. Now, take another safety pin and pin the sides of t-shirt and the fabric lining together.
10. If desired, you can cut a piece of the fabric lining for an inside pocket or two. It can be as big or as small as you want, depending on what you are planning to put in there.
11. Take the top, bottom, and sides of the pockets and fold them.
12. Iron the sides of these pockets down and sew them to the inside of the purse. You should saw the sides and bottom to it.
13. You can now turn the shirt right side out.
14. Take the top edges to the fabric lining and the t-shirt and fold them a few times and pin them.
15. Turn the old t-shirt back inside out to sew the top edges of the purse together.
16. If you need to make the straps and handles, you can actually purchase handles from a craft store, use recycled web belts, or use embroidery hoops. Sew one of each to the front and back of the purse. Or on the top or bottom, depending on how you want to make your purse (backpack, tote, shoulder, ect.).
17. You can also buy buttons or zippers to sew onto the top of your purse, so that way you can keep it closed.
This may take some time and patience, but in the end, you will have a brand new purse created out of an old t-shirt. It will be one of a kind and something originally made by you. This can turn into a fun hobby for you. Or if you like to design your own t-shirts and use them as purses, you may be able to earn a little extra cash by selling them. Or simply give them away as gifts or as a favor for someone else who may want an old t-shirt purse. You can even teach others how to make their own!
Whatever the reason for making this purse may be, you should enjoy creating and using your purse made out of an old t-shirt.
I had a little help with remembering the directions for this project, and credit for that goes to the following: eHow.com