You want to know how to cancel your credit cards. Sometimes, you decide you want to cancel your credit card and you need the correct information to do it. You may have paid off your bill. You may have stopped using your credit card. Make sure you realize your credit card does not automatically cancel. Do not throw your card away and believe it has been automatically cancelled. You have to personally cancel your credit card yourself. Beware of the credit ramifications.
Things You Will Need
• Phone number for the credit card company
• Credit card number
• Personal information
• Security code
• Security question answer
1. You will need to pay off your credit card before you cancel the card. If you have a balance, pay it off. The credit card company wants their money before they are willing to cancel your account.
2. You will need to get your personal information together before you cancel your credit card. You will need your credit card number. You will need the three digit security number located on the back of the card. (the four digit code on the front of an American Express card) You will need your social security number. You will need your address, phone number, and your own personal security code. The security code is often your mother’s maiden name.
3. You will have to call your credit card company to cancel your credit card. You can actually send a letter, but calling the credit card company is much easier. A representative will answer the phone. Often you are led to the representative by a computerized mechanism that leads you to the cancellation department. Those computerized mechanisms are a real joy. The representative will ask you for all the information in step two. They will also ask you why you want to cancel your credit card. They will often try to keep you as a customer. Sometimes, they will offer you points to stay. The representative will also tell you this cancellation information will be sent to credit organizations. Cancelling your credit card account can hurt your credit (a little) for a little while.
4. Do not hang up the phone until the representative confirms your credit card is cancelled. Once all the information is traded, the representative confirms your credit card is cancelled, they will tell you to have a nice day, and they will be happy to deal with you in the future. Your credit card has been cancelled.
5. There is one last stepto the credit card cancellation process. Take a pair of scissors and cut your credit card into tiny pieces. Yes, your credit card is cancelled, but now is not the time to take chances. Throw your cut-up credit card into the trash. You are finished. You have learned how to cancel your credit card.
These credit card cancellation tips are good for Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
• The credit card phone number is on the back of your credit card
• Prepare your personal info before calling to cancel
• Make sure the card is paid off before you cancel
• Be aware of the credit ramifications
• Make sure the credit card representative confirms cancellation
• Cut-up your credit card and throw it in the trash