I love to bead. It’s fun and gives you the chance to be creative with your own style. I usually like to make bracelets or necklaces, for both others and myself. Beading your own jewelry can be a lot of fun and inexpensive. You can pick your own design, style, and budget.
You can find beads and beading string or beading wire at many different stores. Some include Wal-Mart, Target, AC Moore, and Michaels. You can even use beading kits that are made for children, which may still include what you need. In addition to the stores already mentioned, you can find these beading kits in stores like 5 Below (which is a great store, as there is nothing over $5.00) and Toys ‘R Us. There are so many types of beads to choose from when shopping around. With sizes you have large, medium, or small or really tiny beads. You can get black or white beads, or a pack of colorful beads. Some are in different shapes or charms, others have patterns painted on, and of course we have the famous alphabet beads (beads with letters of the alphabet on them, I love these). You can buy regular string, the kind that stretches, or beading wire. You can also find different types of clasps to hold it together, such as crab claw or magnetic. All of this depends on what you want to make when beading.
Once you choose your beads and string, you may be ready to start beading. Here are a few tips and instructions to help you bead your piece of jewelry.
1. Plan your design or style. Now this is optional, but it is helpful. You can lay your beads out on the side (where they will not get messed up, knocked off the table, etc.) in the order that you want to put them on the string. Just remember to allow a little room for tying the string together or to a clasp.
2. Measure out your string. I can’t give you specific measurements, because this is entirely up to you. It depends what kind of jewelry you are making and whom you are making it for (yourself or someone else). Once again, you may want to remember to allow a little room for tying the string together or to a clasp. Once you measure out the string or wire, you can cut the string off of the roll (or whatever you bought it on) and down to the size you want. You do not have to cut it off the roll if you don’t want to, but it may be easier to work with that way. This is up to you.
3. You may want to either tie a clasp to one end, tie knot at one end of the string, or put something heavy on the end of it, whichever may work best for your project. The reason for doing this is to keep the beads from falling off of the other end as you slip them on.
4. Take your beads and start sliding them on the string or wire, in whichever order you desire. Take your time and design it the way you want to.
5. When you are done, it is time to fasten it. It is your choice on how you will do so, but it also may depend on the type of string and how big it is. You can tie both ends of the string together, or tie each end to a clasp. Depending on the string and beads, I suggest doubling or even tripling the knots, to make sure they won’t come lose. That’s what I do when I am beading.
Now you are done and are ready to wear your beautiful piece of jewelry and show it off! Wear it for yourself or give it as a gift. You may even decide to make more jewelry. Maybe you want a necklace and bracelet set. If this enjoyable hobby takes off, you may decide to even sell your jewelry (something I have personally never done, but I love to make my own just for fun). It is your style and your design, do whatever you like and have fun!