Part of my yard was turned into a zucchini patch this year, not just for our family’s use but for some of my neighbors as well. Of course, the problem with having a patch of zucchini as opposed to a single plant is that the zucchini grows faster than a family can possibly eat in a lifetime.
Most zucchini ends up saute’ed in butter and garlic for an easy side dish, shredded up for quick breads, or chopped up and dumped into soups or Italian marinara sauces. Zucchini can also be grilled on the barbecue for an amazing fire roasted flavor. This method of cooking zucchini is so delicious that your family won’t mind eating zucchini several nights a week.
How to barbecue zucchini
Zucchinis are unusual in that they take on the flavor of the foods they are cooked with. When grilled on the barbecue, they take on a fire roasted flavor that is as good as anything you can order in a fine restaurant. Here’s a couple of new ways our family discovered for serving up zucchini that even a fussy eater will enjoy.
Zucchini Shish Kabob .
* Tender cut of meat (sirloin, top sirloin, tri-tip, ribeye, porterhouse) cut into 1.5″ cubes.
* Teriyaki sauce
* One red pepper per pound of meat, cut into 1.5″ squares
* One yellow chili pepper per pound of meat, also cut into 1.5″ squares.
* One zucchini per pound of meat, cut into rounds one inch thick.
1. Soak the meat cubes in the teriyaki sauce for an hour.
2. Arrange the meat and vegetables on the skewers in the following order ~ meat, zucchini, pepper, meat, zucchini, pepper, etc.
3. Grill on medium high temperatures until meat is cooked and the zucchini skin has crinkled, about 10-15 minutes.
Roasted zucchini rounds
* Tender zucchini cut into one inch slices
* 1/4 cup olive oil per zucchini
* Garlic salt
* Sliced onions
Also needed will be a barbecue vegetable grilling tray. These can be found in most department stores and can be found for $10 or less.
1. Toss zucchini in olive oil and set aside while the barbecue is heating up.
2. Butter the grilling tray. Arrange onion slices on tray and place on the barbecue racks. Stir with metal spatula until onions are tender. Push the onions to the side of the tray to keep warm.
3.. Using a metal spatula to transfer zucchini to the hot tray. Sprinkle garlic salt on the top and flip. Once the underneath has grilled nicely, flip over the again and sprinkle with garlic salt.
4. Continue grilling until zucchini is fully roasted. Stir in hot onions, then transfer vegetables to a serving dish.