Give trick or treaters and the birds a scare this Halloween with a spooky haunted birdhouse craft. This fun to make Halloween craft can be made by children or adults and displayed all month long as part of your Halloween decorations. It also makes a great Halloween themed craft to sell at a craft fair or bazaar during the month of October. There is no right or wrong way to make this unique take on a haunted house craft so feel free to use whatever materials you have on hand to give your haunted birdhouse Halloween craft a personal flair.
How To Make A Haunted Birdhouse Craft
Unfinished pre-made wooden birdhouse
Acrylic Paint in Halloween colors
Orange craft foam
Black craft foam
White craft foam
Purple craft foam
7mm wiggle eyes
Plastic table covering
1. Cover workspace with the plastic table covering.
2. Depending on where you purchase your birdhouse from you may need to assemble it.
3. Using the acrylic paints start painting the birdhouse in your chosen colors.
4. Allow to dry
5. Add a second coat and allow to dry
6. Use a different color of paint to add details or highlight trim. You can give your haunted birdhouse a traditional haunted house look or go for something a little more unique and add polka dots, stripes or spirals in Halloween colors to the base coat.
7. Allow to dry
8. Use your pencil to trace various Halloween themed shapes such as pumpkins, ghosts, bats etc.
9. Cut out foam shapes and attach to your haunted birdhouse with a drop of craft glue.
10. Add wiggle eyes to the craft foam shapes if you desire.
11. Take a piece of stretchable spider web and stretch across the bird house.
12. Place a couple of spiders on the spider web.
Instead of using Halloween items such as skulls bats and spiders make a trick or treat candy themed bird house by using candy such as lollipops tootsie rolls and Smarties as decorations.
To make your birdhouse srandout at night you might want to paint it with glow in the dark paint or add a small strand of battery operated purple or orange mini lights.
Your haunted birdhouse craft is now ready to display by hanging outdoors or sitting on a shelf or table to greet any ghosts or goblins that come to call. Once Halloween is over you can store your haunted birdhouse to be used again next year.