Those that feel a call of God on life to function in the various duties of ministry may choose either a traditional or a non-traditional method of ordination, both are out of personal preference and each is a highly personal decision. You can become recognized through a locally established religious denomination or you can receive ordination credentials through a legally established religious organization via the internet. Traditional ordination through a local religious place of worship can take months to years to complete whereas online ordination generally takes less than one month.
1. Consider carefully your personal beliefs if you have not done so already and the religious denomination you belong to. Take the time necessary to see the denominational belief sets are what you want for the direction of ministry during your career.
2. Contact a local church serving the denomination you choose and express interest in becoming ordained.
3. Fill out any application paperwork as required. Expect to fill out background check authorization forms. Interview processes include getting to know more about you, your past experiences with religion and why you want to become ordained.
4. Obtain any necessary educational requirements the denominations require in the form of completing in house classes provided by the church or obtaining a Bachelor or Master’s degree in Divinity or Theology through an accredited institution. If a degree is required, church leadership will be able to provide you with approved accrediting agencies.
5. Participate in any hands-on training the denomination asks of you.
6. Attend your ordination ceremony once all the steps are completed. Church leadership will arrange this for you. You will receive your ordination credentials at or just after your ordination ceremony.
1. Log onto the internet and choose an ordination company or online church that provides ordinations, aligning with your religious beliefs.
2. Fill out any required application. If you do not have internet or email access, print out the application.
3. Submit the required application via the internet, fax, email or by regular mail. You may choose to purchase optional “clergy packages” that include original inked certificates to help prove your ordination status at this time.
4. Check your email or wait for your confirmation of your ordination via regular mail. Receiving ordination credentials online can happen within ten minutes to a few weeks depending on the company.
Keep good records of any money you receive for services such as weddings or donations. The state of Kentucky requires a licensed and ordained minister to apply for a Kentucky business license and you’ll be charged a percentage of your projected yearly income. The cost to renew your business license annually will be determined by the actual yearly income you receive year after year. It is illegal for any licensed and ordained minister to actually solicit marriages in the state of Kentucky.
Kentucky Legislature, Occupational license fees, rates, exemptions-Regulation of Ministers, LRC.KY.gov
US Marriage Laws, Kentucky, USMarriageLaws.com