Being a senior citizen does not mean you have to give up on doing the activities you love with other people. Group activities can help a senior citizen maintain cognitive function and can provide relief from stress. Group activities are also good for a senior citizen because it allows them to interact with people their own age. If you are looking for some good group activities for a senior citizen then you might want to try some of these suggestions.
1. Exercise classes are a great group activity for a senior citizen and it provides a low-impact workout. There are many different types of group exercises that you can get involved in such as yoga or water aerobics at your local gym or community center. Exercises classes often have a group session that is only for the senior citizen group so that everyone is able to workout comfortably and at a slower pace. A lot of retirement centers also offer exercise sessions in a group setting so it is important to know if this is offered at your location. Exercise will help keep you feeling younger as you get older and can really relieve joint pain and muscle aches.
2. Field trips are also a great activity for a senior citizen and are often organized at your local community center. There are special field trips that you can go on if you are a senior citizen within your community and they can be a lot of fun. Field trips might include going to a museum or casino and can be a lot of fun for a group of senior citizens. Senior citizen field trips often are paid for by the organization although you might have to bring money for snacks or other items you wish to buy. Going on a field trip as a senior citizen can be fun because it will bring back memories of going on a school field trip. Field trips are always fun to go on in a group setting and since they are designed for senior citizens it will not be uncomfortable.
3. Auctions are another great group activity for senior citizens and it will probably be organized through your local community center. A lot of senior citizens like to go to auctions and see various items up for sale that they might want to purchase. Auctions might have items that were made or grown locally and there are usually handmade items available also. If you go to an auction there also might be items that were made by other area senior citizens so it is a great way to help someone within your community. Auctions are a great group activity because it is something everyone can have fun with and people can talk about what they would love to buy.
4. Gardening is a great group activity for senior citizens and it can benefit the community at the same time. A gardening club might already be started in your local community for senior citizens so you should ask the community center for information on them. Gardening is something a lot of senior citizens enjoy doing because you are working outdoors but are not doing a high-impact activity which could injure you. A lot of areas have a garden you can adopt and then take care of with a group of people. Gardening is a great group activity for any senior citizen who likes the outdoors and who enjoys bringing life into a community.
5. Arts and crafts are also a great group activity for a senior citizen although a small fee might occur for supplies. There are many senior living facilities that offer classes on arts and crafts such as scrap booking and sewing that you can do as a group. Group arts and crafts are fun because you can learn various things from other people who are also involved in the group. You might choose to make a photo album of your family and then share it with other people in the group for a special experience. Sometimes arts and craft groups might be offered for a couple months depending on the size of the group and the financial aspect of running the class. Arts and crafts are just a great way to bond with other people in your age group and will provide hours of fun as a group activity for a senior citizen.