Adults, teens, and children are given many opportunities throughout the year to participate in activities; mainly geared towards their age group. They have swim and dance classes, exercise and sports leagues, and kid’s camps. Not only do these activities keep them in shape but they also give them something to look forward to.
Something that I have noticed is there haven’t been many activities or events geared towards seniors; well that’s changing here in Papillion, Nebraska. Bellow you’ll see the exciting opportunities for our seasoned community members.
1. On Tuesday’s the “Singing Seniors” take the stage and practice dancing, singing, and acting out skits. Practices are held on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 am. In the afternoon they’ll strut their stuff by performing a show later that day. Not only are these performances held at the “Senior Center”; located at 1001 Limerick road in Papillion, they also entertain in the metro area and communities close by. In addition to the “Singing Seniors” performances there is also an event held on the 4th Sunday of each month from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm. This performance is called “A Heartland Country/Gospel Music Jam Session.” Not only can seniors listen to the music, they can perform with the band during their open microphone session. There are a lot of talented people out there so come on out and join the fun.
2. On Wednesday’s there are 3 fun activities that the seniors can enjoy. The first is a “Perky Health Club”; which meets at 10:30 am. This event is at no cost to the seniors; they only need to commit to be involved on a continual basis. During the class seniors will exercise and listen to guest speakers, talk to physical therapists, and a student nurse; they can also get a doctor visit during that time. The second activity is offered after lunchtime; “Games and Fun”; a variety of games such as canasta and pinochle are played. The last activity on Wednesdays is “Artistic Creations.” This class does not require enrollment and is held at 10:00 am to 3:00 pm; what a fun filled day of creating something special. Beginning painters will have supplies provided to them however the more advanced painter will have to bring their own.
3. Did someone say “Bingo?” Seniors will enjoy this exciting game on Thursday mornings starting at 10:30 am. The fee is only $.25 per card and cash prizes as well as a “Good Neighbor Award” will be given. The fun doesn’t stop there; seniors can show off their creativity by participating in a “Crafts” class which is held at 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
4. Whether you’re a senior or not everyone likes and needs food. Meals (lunches) are provided every day at 11:30 am. Although there isn’t a “set fee” donations are suggested. The donation amounts are as follows: Seniors over 60 years-$2.50 and seniors under 60-$6.50. Meals are catered by the “Valley Corporation” and reservations should be made before noon. If unable to make it to the center a home delivery can be made by calling 402-444-6766.
5. Not only is nutrition important, taking care of the body is the number one thing we should do. Every 3rd Wednesday seniors can take part in the “Health Maintenance Clinic.” There will be blood pressure, lung, and blood sugar checks. Seniors can also have foot care provided such as trimming their toenails. This clinic starts at 10:00 am.
For additional information about any of these activities or if you would like to volunteer please call the Papillion Senior Center at 402-597-2095.