After a 30-year absence, I went back to school last fall. I admit, I had no idea what school supplies I needed. My kids are grown, and I haven’t bought back to school supplies in quite a while.
As an adult full-time college student, I recommend parents and students make room in the budget for these 10 essential college school supplies.
1. Computer with Windows 7 Installed. I spent a lot of time on the computer. I used it to take online classes, do research, write papers, develop presentations, keep up with assignments, and communicate with the college. I have a desktop computer, which worked out fine. A laptop, however, provides more studying flexibility, and I’m saving up for one.
2. Microsoft Office Home and Student Software. Absolutely essential for homework and class work. Anti-virus computer software is also a good idea. Use your student ID to get discounts on both.
3. Printer. A printer is essential for printing assignments and scanning in documents. The college probably has printers available, but there’s usually fees involved for printing off pages. The computers might also all be in use and you might have to wait to get on one.
4. Flash Drive. I use this to download information from the school’s computer to mine, and vice-versa. I keep copies of my current assignments on the flash drive so my work is always available to me and backed up.
5. Pens and Pencils. I have a supply of pens, highlighters, colored pencils and No. 2 pencils. I also carry around a pencil sharpener and extra erasers.
6. Paper. I have plenty of paper for taking notes. I also have a supply of plain white printer paper. A folder or notebook with pockets keeps papers from falling out all over the place.
7. Date Book/Planner. I have a planner with me at all times. It is very easy to get assignments and dates mixed up. By jotting down all my assignment due dates, test dates, days off, etc., I can immediately see what needs to be done.
8. Office Supplies. A stapler, staples, paper clips, scotch tape, and scissors are basic supplies that will come in handy.
9. Index Cards. I use index cards as flash cards to study for tests. This is a great way to prepare for a test. I went through a few hundred of them last semester. This year I’m watching the back to school sales and buying them when they’re on sale.
10. Pencil Case. After spending way too much time digging around for a pen one day, I noticed that most of my fellow students carry a pencil case. Some use a zip-lock bag, some use a plastic bin, and some had pretty cloth cases. I ended up saving a lot of time and frustration by getting a pencil case and keeping it fully stocked.
So take it from me, a student. These are 10 essential back to college school supplies a college student needs. One year ago, I had no clue what school supplies I needed. This year, I am confident I have the essential school supplies I need.