Planning is a major step toward creating a good minimalist wardrobe. Without a plan, you may be tempted to buy clothing that you do not need or clothing that does not serve a purpose in your wardrobe. In a minimalist wardrobe, every piece should serve a purpose and every piece should be worn. If you find yourself not wearing certain items of clothing, it may be time to throw it out.
1. Know what you are comfortable with. Having clothing that you are comfortable in is important in developing a minimalist wardrobe. Not all women are comfortable wearing skirts or dresses and not all men like vests. Chances are that you have a good number of clothing in your wardrobe that you are not comfortable in and so you probably never wear them. When creating a minimalist wardrobe, you want to be able to pick out any piece of clothing and feel comfortable wearing it. Being at ease in the clothes you wear can cut back on a lot of time spent in the morning changing outfits.
2. Decide on a color palette. A key part of developing a minimalist wardrobe is making sure that your clothes go together. By creating a color palette, you will ensure that the clothing in your new wardrobe will be in colors that compliment each other. This also makes getting dressed in the morning easier because less time will be spent trying to match clothes. Start with colors that you know look good on you and combine them with neutral colors. Neutrals should make up a large portion of your wardrobe, and non-neutrals should make up less than half of your wardrobe. This makes it easier to match different pieces with one another.
3. Decide on how small or large you want your wardrobe to be. Different people with different lifestyles will require different size wardrobes. The average person could probably do fine with a wardrobe of 40 items of clothing or less. Decide on how many items of clothing you need for your lifestyle.
4. Make a list of the clothing items you need. After you decide on the number of clothing items you want in your minimalist wardrobe, make a list of the items of clothing you want and need for a functional wardrobe. Most people will probably include a several bottoms and many tops and sweaters/jackets. If you are a jeans and t-shirt kind of person then you probably will not need as many bottoms because people don’t tend to pay attention to differences in jeans.
5. Go through your wardrobe and pick out the clothes that match the qualities that you want your wardrobe to have. The best place to start is your current wardrobe. Looking through your closet can end up saving you a lot of money. Check off the items of clothing that you already have and when you are done, you can fill in the missing clothing items by going shopping.
When you are done planning your new wardrobe you can either sell or donate the clothes that you no longer need. Many people find it difficult to part with their clothes, but it is for the better and getting rid of unnecessary clothing is the first step to simplifying your life.