Summer is near and for those who seek a break from the hot sun with a little indoor activity or just looking for a way to pass the time, there are many crafting options in the West Los Angeles and South Bay areas for all ages and income levels.
• Bead Studio has three locations in the Redondo Beach area (including Decotage) and has two websites, www.southbaybeads.com and www.bead-studio.com. Classes offered include leather wrap bracelets, beading, knotting, wire wrap and basic soldering. A $15 deposit is required to reserve a space.
• Beadtopia -319 Richmond St #A, El Segundo, CA 90245 (cross street is Grand) (310)322-0077 www.bead-topia.com In a quiet community south of LAX, wire wrap, bead weave, stringing and knotting techniques are used to create rings, pendants and other wearable art. Individual classes are $10 each and private instruction starts at $65 an hour. $45 beading classes include a $10 credit toward supplies.
• Dabble Studios – 4807 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA 90503 (310)561-8036 www.dabblestudios.com Located near Del Amo Mall, this location offers jewelry making, knitting, crocheting, sewing and quilting, scrapbooking, painting, drawing and hat-making. Fees start at $15. Call for supplies list.
• Luella’s Quilt Basket -1512 Aviation blvd. Redondo Beach, CA 90278 (310)798-1282 www.luellas.com Have several different events for summer 2010, one of which is Kidz Kamp. There are a few levels and the fee starts at $399 (this includes the purchase of a Husqvarna Viking sewing machine). They are also hosting the Quilter’s Run on June 17-20 and June 24-27 as well as the Quilter’s Festival on July 23 through 25. All levels of sewing and quilting classes are offered through the year and start at $30. Free classes are available with machine purchase.
• Michael’s Arts and Crafts has locations in Hawthorne, Inglewood, Santa Monica and Torrance. Their website is www.michaels.com and they have ongoing classes in cake decorating, holiday crafts, all levels of sewing, quilting and jewelry making.
• Tanner’s Sewing and Vacuum–6230 W. 87th St. Westchester, CA 90045 (866)670-2429 or (310)670-2429 www.tannersewandvac.com Sewing and quilting classes are available for all ages and start at $35. There is a summer day camp for children ages 9-13 and the fee is $299.
• Urban Craft Center – 2433 Main St. Santa Monica, CA 90405 (310)392-0139 www.theurbancraftcenter.com During the months of June and July, classes are offered in bookbinding, sewing, textile accessories, quilt making, decoupage, soap making, Yudu screenprinting, patternmaking and resin jewelry. They also have hourly, daily and monthly studio rates that include equipment storage.