As baptism is one sacred yet joyous occasion for the family, it is only right that the christening gifts the little one get would help his spiritual growth. There might be hundreds of items that the baby would love such as toys, but the parents would sure be delighted that you understand very well the meaning of the occasion. Sure, buying feeding aids or clothes and colorful toys would be much easier, but when you know what to get and where to get inspirational objects for the baby, the purchase would be smooth and easy.
So if you’re wondering what are the appropriate presents for a christening, read on and know more:
1. Baby’s first bible. This would be like affirming your support to the parents in rearing their child upright and spiritually enlightened. But first, ask what version the parents would prefer. Then have the Holy Book’s cover embossed with the child’s full name, and other important details like the baptism date and church.
2. Gold cross pendant. For Roman Catholics, the cross would top the list of ideal christening gifts. It is considered as a protector and guide of the child as he grows. Just be sure to get the item fit for the little one, and that the necklace could be adjusted as the child ages. This way, the cross will be worn for a long, long time.
3. Wall crucifix or framed angels or saints. These items would be hung on the child’s room and serve as their altar. They’d be facing these holy hangings as they learn their prayers, and consider their presence as guardian and company as they grow into adulthood.
4. Baptismal record. There are various means to get the record become a memorabilia, like having the baptismal details framed, along with relevant Bible verses. Or you could opt for symbolic figurines like a lamb, an angel or a baby. To make it more meaningful, have the details of the christening printed on the base, below the baby’s name.
5. Engraved photo frame and baby’s picture. You could ask the parents for some pictures of the baby a few weeks before the event, and choose one for special printing. Aside from getting it several sizes larger, you could also have baby’s name creatively printed on the picture. After that, have the photo framed and ready for display at the family’s home or the baby’s room.
6. Less personal acts could also be helpful christening gifts, and have become appreciated by modern Christian parents. Such presents could be gift certificates, college plans, opening a savings account for the child, or making donations to charities and churches in the child’s name. Of course, you could opt for this only if you could afford such.
Other non-traditional and non-event related presents include toys and educational materials for the baby. Other guests also volunteer their services such as videotaping or doing photography for free as their christening gifts.
Jim F. Roberts has been expertly writing articles for 5 years on a variety of topics of interest. He also happens to be a godparent to seven godchildren, his resourcefulness led him to finding the best web resource on Christening Gifts with gift choices such as personalized Christening name bracelet, personalized celtic cup and pewter godchild tankard.