In getting our home fixed up so we can put it on the market, I have been doing a lot of updating, painting, and simple replacing of items around the home. Much of this includes hardware, such as the garment hooks that I decided to put up in our garage.
Our home is 26 years old, and the garage has never been painted until last week. My husband had screwed long two by four pieces of pine wood to the walls, and into these he hammered long nails. This was his version of a garment rack. I have never liked this, and the nail heads are very hard on any kind of clothing that we hung on them.
At my local Lowe’s store I was shopping for a wall mounted garment rack, and just below these were bins of individual garment hooks. They were available in gold, chrome, bronze, and gunmetal. In keeping with the decor of the rest of our home, I chose the brushed chrome hooks.
The Brainerd Decorative Satin Nickel Garment Hooks were not cheap, they retailed for around six dollars each, which I felt was very over priced, but I didn’t like the look of the less expensive garment hooks. These hooks are made of zinc die cast material for sturdiness, but are coated with a satin nickel finish. The surface has the dull look of a brushed nickel, but this is a smooth, not brushed, finish.
There are two hooks on each piece, and they measure four and a half inches in height. They each come packaged in a clear bag, and hardware (two silver colored screws) are included. There is a small instruction sheet included, but we didn’t find a need to use it. The sheet does state that you should not place more than 35 pounds upon each of the hooks, but that seems like a lot of weight!
The instructions say to mark the two mounting holes, (on each side of the circular base), drill two 3/32″ pilot holes, then install the hooks using the two screws provided. We have done enough handy jobs around the home that we knew how to install these, and as it were we followed the same methods as those described in the instruction sheet.
When the job was finished, we had 12 hooks on our walls, but a few of them didn’t look completely straight, even though we used a square to mark the spaces. Because of the two holes, there was some forgiveness – we were able to loosen the screws, move the hook into a straighter angle, and re-tighten the screws. The final look was so much nicer than what we had before. Such as simple update, but boy it really makes a big difference in the look of our home.