I love Paula Deen; I’ve been watching her since she started on TV. I have never seen anyone that enjoys food as much as she does! I love the way she presents herself and I also love how much she enjoys life!
A few nights ago, while channel surfing, I wound up on the Food Network and Paul’s laugh made me stop and watch. She was cooking with her younger son, Bobby Deen, and they were just starting to make a pineapple dessert. I love pineapple and when she mentioned brown sugar I knew it would be good.
Paul used a fresh pineapple, home made shortbread cookies and home made whipped cream. Those items I modified a bit, to make life easier for myself! I’ll give you my version of Paula’s dessert because it will save you time and energy and no one will know the difference, except Paula herself! You will love this grilled pineapple dessert this summer. It is cool and refreshing.
Paula didn’t name her dish, so the name ‘Grilled Pineapple a la Abby’ is my own!
Grilled Pineapple a la Abby
One fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced, or
one pre-peeled pineapple (less mess!)
1 cup of brown sugar
½ stick of butter – melted
Hot grill, outdoor or indoor such as a Foreman grill
Vanilla Ice Cream – your favorite brand
Store bought shortbread cookies
Store bought whipped cream
Mint leaves for garnish
* Brush pineapple slices with melted butter and gently press brown sugar into the butter on one side only
* Place on a hot grill – buttered side down
* While they are cooking, which won’t take long, brush the top side with butter and add the brown sugar.
* Take a peek at the slices, if the sugar is getting dark, turn them
* Once both sides have been ‘grilled’ place the slices on individual dessert dishes
* Top each pineapple slice with a big scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream
* Drizzle the Carmel sauce over the ice cream
* Crumble a shortbread cookie over the ice cream
* Add some whipped cream
* Top with a mint leaf
There you have it, my easy version of a Paula Deen recipe. You can take out some of the calories if you want, it’s your option.
This recipe is the base for branching out! Feel free to use a different flavor of ice cream, try chocolate sauce or chocolate mint cookies. We actually liked it without the Carmel sauce; it was sweet enough without it! Put some pineapple on the grill this summer.