About the SAT Exams
With more than two million students taking the SAT every year it is important to get good SAT scores, this gives you the chance to be a front runner when it comes to having your choice of colleges. Even though some colleges do not require a good SAT score, others will use these results as an indicator for your chances of success as a college student. There a number of different strategies that students can use to improve the chance of getting good SAT scores.
1. If you are taking the SAT test for the first time as a junior then it important for you not to be in hurry to take the test again. Leave a good amount of time between the tests, and give yourself the chance to brush up on different skills, having taken the test once, you will have a better idea of what to expect the next time round. So take about six months to study up on the parts you might be a bit weaker on. Colleges will take the top scores from each year into consideration; so don’t rush yourself, just relax and give yourself the practice time you need, to make sure you get good SAT scores.
2. Make an effort to visit the website of the College Board, and answer the daily question. Take the opportunity to do the practice questions, answer the multiple choice questions and go through all of the resources on offer.
3. Give some thought to taking a preparation course, check out what is offered in your local area. Many community learning centers offer specialized practice tests and study help. Talk to your school guidance councilors they will be able to point you in the right direction.
4. Purchase a study guide, the College Board has an up to date study guide for every year, that you can use to make sure you are concentrating on the important areas.
5. The most effective way of preparing to get good SAT scores is to practice, the old saying that “practice makes perfect,” is true in this case. The more practice you have the more confidence you will gain – and the better chance you have of getting good SAT scores.
6. Practice the essay by timing yourself, give yourself 5 minutes to plan and write a short intro, a one paragraph body and conclusion. Don’t forget to give yourself 5 minutes to read over and check your work once you are done.
Adding up your SAT Scores
It is important to get good SAT scores, as this reasoning test is the most widely used test for admissions into American Colleges and Universities, students will generally take the SAT tests in both their junior and senior years. The test is used to determine a students’ knowledge in three main categories, mathematics, critical reading and writing. Each of these categories is scored on a scale of 200 to 800. The SAT is administered no less than 7 times a year throughout the United States and its territories.
1. You will be able to get your 3 individual scores online about 3 weeks after sitting the test.
2. To determine if you have good SAT scores then you need to add the 3 scores together and get one whole score.
3. The amount of these three scores together gives you your SAT score. The perfect sore would be a number of 2400.
Staying calm while taking the test
If you feel anxious at even just the thought of taking a test then you should be aware that you are not on your own. It is estimated that around 20% of people will have anxiety issues before and during these tests. Try to stay calm so that you can get good SAT scores. Everything happens for a reason, and you will be able to achieve your goals with hard work and applied effort over time, regardless of your final SAT score. You will find a school that is the right fit for you.
You can check out these resources to help you get good SAT scores.
http://sat.collegeboard.com www.eprep.com www.collegecrunch.org