You see it all the time on television and in the movies. Boy meets girl. Girl likes boy. Boy likes girl. They hook up for the night. The next morning they face an awkward moment and then they never see each other again. How many times does this happen in real life? Who is really counting? However, before you have your next or first one night stand, consider these things:
1. First, off, consider safety first. No, safety isn’t just about birth control. However, this is important. Safety is about keeping yourself safe from sexually transmitted diseases. This means you should remember the motto: No love, without the glove. If you don’t have any condoms, ask if he/she does. Don’t assume.
2. Will you be angry at yourself in the morning? Can you actually face yourself in the morning? Only you know the answer to this question.
3. Are you hurting someone by having this one night stand? Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend who would be hurt if they knew what you were doing? Does the other party have one? If don’t know if the object of your one night stand has a significant other, ask.
4. Really look at the guy/girl you are planning to share this one night. Does he/she look safe?
5. Do you think the sex will be as good as you think?
6. Where should you have this one night stand? Do you really want this other person to know where you live?
7. Do you realize that this is what it is? This is a one night stand. Don’t expect the other person to fall madly in love with you. It could happen. But usually it will not. You may not even find out the other person’s real name or phone number.
8. If you do decide to go for it and have this one night stand, call a close friend, especially if you are a woman. Tell her where you are going and a time when you will call her back to let her know that you are safe. Remember safety needs to come before passion.
Should you have a one night stand? That is entirely up to you. Can you have a one night stand? Of course, you can. Can you live with yourself after a one night stand? Again, another question you can only answer.
Many people can have a lot of fun during a one night stand and look back at them with fond memories. Other people may live to regret them. Sometimes it is just the timing of them that answers the question.
If you are in a relationship, a one night stand can ruin it. If you aren’t in a relationship, you may feel that one night stands are perfect ways for you to spend those lonely nights.
Just be careful whatever you choose to do.